Need Help On Keeping A Squamosa Clam

Discussion in 'Clams' started by animalluvr, Feb 10, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. animalluvr

animalluvr Plankton

Hey,
    I have a squamosa clam and it isn't doing so well in my 35gal. hex. I have had it for about 3 months now and it isn't opening up that much any more, even when I am trying to feed it. It isn't the only clam in my tank, but it seems to move away from the other clam (durasa). So if you are having the same problem let me know on your methods for reacting to this problem. I need as much info as possible before it is to late.:help:

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Generally those are sand dwellers.. where is yours? Are you doing the pvc ring under the sand or a shell that it can attach too? How often and what are you feeding it? I'm not an expert (I ripped my last one!) but I like clams. Maybe we can keep yours going. :)

4. Reef Lover

Reef Lover Sea Dragon

Maybe something is picking at it. Someone ate my clam.

5. reptoreef

reptoreef Plankton

If you are absolutely sure of your parameters and upkeep, look closely at a parasite or maybe a nuisence shrimp. Have you done any research on pyramid snails???

Jason

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Hey Jason,
    Thanks for replying to my thread. As far as I know, I don't have any shrimps or parasitic worms etc. The only snails that I have are Astrea, Turbo, Cerith, and Nassirus snails. Plus, I only have 1 shrimp left (something came over my tank) and it is a peppermint shrimp because my other 2 died. So, let me know if you have any more info.

7. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Hey Matt,
    Thanks for replying to my quote. I had my Squamosa clam in my sand bed with my Durasa clam (Squamosa died). My Derasa is doing quite well in my sand bed. I have 7.70 watts per gallon of water. I feed my clams a staple rich in phytoplankton, zooplankton, rotifers and oyster eggs.

8. Click Here!

9. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Matt, This is my daughter replying. She forgot to sign me off and sing on under animalluvr! Sorry!

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Of all those foods, the only one your clam is eating is phytoplankton. The other foods are far too large for your clam to consume.