need help on filter change

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by hottielover14, Aug 22, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

I have a Fluval canister filter but i've seen this vortex diatom pressure filter. It's supposed to keep your aquarium clean. It says that it removes stuff as small as 1 diatom. Should i get rid of my fluval canister filter. I have in it the fluval filter pad to remove big items and i have some carbon, some phosphate remover, and some rings to grow bacteria on. What should i do.

2. Click Here!

3. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

A diatom filter isn't something you use for constant filtration. It's just for when your water gets dirty, but I wouldn't suggest you use it on your reef. It's only a polisher filter and it uses diatomaceous earth powder to polish the water. Stick with the fluval.

4. hottielover14

what would be the best stuff to put in my fluval.

5. reefman_MC

I would take the filter pad out or clean it everyday. Once it collects junk and it starts decaying it will release nitrates into your water. Just add the carbon once a month and only keep it in one week. That's about all it lasts. So I would say keep the Phosphate removal stuff and keep the bacteria rings. What kind of Phosphate stuff are you using? The best is Phos-guard by Seachem and don't believe the stuff about it leaking aluminum in the water. That's just a rumor.

6. hottielover14

i use the Hagen Phos-X phosphate remover. I've kept the same filter pad in for a month and still register 0 nitrates on my test kit.

7. reefman_MC

Good on the nitrates, but I would suggest you go ahead and clean it.

8. Click Here!

9. hottielover14

is there something wrong w/ keeping carbon in longer than 1 week.

10. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

nope, nothing wrong. I keep mine in for around 2 to 3 weeks, thats about how long I notice the difference in my tank. Once the color starts going a bit green in my tank, I know its time for new GAC (carbon).

11. reefman_MC

I normally take it out just to be safe. Once it sucks up all it can hold it releases everything back in the water.