need help my tank has ick and my fish are almost all dead

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by dscannapieco, Jul 29, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dscannapieco

dscannapieco Plankton

I have ick in my tank and all of my fish are almost dead. I got some stuff to try to help it. I have a small tank that I sent up and put some fish in there. I read that if you bring the temp up to 85 it will kill it off. Does this mean I have to drain my whole entire tank out andboil my live rock to I need help on what to do.with a.230 gallon tank. I have snails and star fish in there.

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

4. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

From what I understand, ick is always in the water but healthy fish are able to "not" get it.

The best solution is to treat them in a quarantine tank. If you treat the display tank it will kill many bacteria in addition to your snails and you will have even more problems.

Is your tank cycled?

5. Caspian

Caspian Coral Banded Shrimp

A bit of garlic juice/oil with the fish food will help them a little bit. The theory of raising the temp causes the ich to go through a faster life cycle this does work in freshwater but isn't suggested in marine fish. Stress is a huge factor if your fish will make it or not. Less stress means higher chances of survival Most fish don't die of ich they die of stress or being so stressed they starve them selves... By proxy it means they die of ich but it's often the other events that get them. Read the link that was provided it will help a lot!

6. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

dont do anything yet. Esp dont raise your temp up to 85 as said earlier.

First before anybody can really help you, we need to know a little bit about your system

You said you got some stuff to try to help it? What is that stuff?

You also said you have a 230g but have a smaller tank that you put some fish in there. Is the smaller tank the tank with the problem? What fish do you have in there? How long has the tank been running? How long has the fish been in there? What are your parameters? Are the fish eating?

Before doing anything, please answer the above questions

7. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

+1 Great response and excellent questions.