Need help/ideas on what to do with my skimmer.

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Puffer Chick, Sep 26, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

So i'm really getting tired of seeing all of these bubbles inside my tank, i hate it, i hate it, i hate it! I don't know what to do. I have the reef octopus bh 800s, it's been working great, but i'm getting really upset about it because of the amount of bubbles that goes into my tank. I just don't know what to do. The bubbles are coming from the out take tube. I now have the tube facing towards the back of the tank to try to lessen the bubbles, but i still have millions of bubbles inside the tank.

I googled about bubbles and the skimmer, nothing really came up except one site that said that the triple baffle design to eliminate the output bubbles into the tank. But that's what i'm getting, millions of bubbles.

I just don't know what to do. All i want is a bubble free tank

2. Click Here!

3. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

ok, so after i typed this post, i went to my dad to figure out if he could try to fix it. He adjusted the air valve even though we've been adjusting it all this time, and all of a sudden there is only a tiny bit of bubbles inside the tank, and the skimmer is also almost noise free, so i think my problem may be fixed, finally! i just hope it keeps it up, i don't mind this little tiny bit of bubbles

4. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

I don't know if you have space to put one under your tank, but if it were me I would get a 10 gal tank and create a small sump where you can run your skimmer and filter out the bubbles with a few baffles before returning water to the tank. The other advantage it will give you is the ability to move your heater out of the display tank, increase the volume of water you have, and you could put that fan you’re playing with to cool your tank in your other thread on it instead of the DT.
    If you have room you can use a 20long for about the same cost and incorporate a fuge into it too.
    Good luck

5. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i would love to have a sump, believe me, but my stand does not let me. so i have to have everything in the dt, which sucks, i just wish i would have known about sumps when i bought my tank/stand and i would have gotten a stand that would have allowed me to actually have a tank in it

6. blumoon reefers

blumoon reefers Millepora

See if your dad will build you a new stand.....all you would need would be the cost of the materials. Or you could build one yourself.

7. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i'll talk to him, but i think he would say no, lol he's already doing my light for me

8. Click Here!

9. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

idk how the skimmer is set up but is there any way to utilise a sponge? it worked wonders on my remora pro