Need help building DIY hood

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by AV8TR, Apr 11, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. AV8TR

AV8TR Plankton

I may have previously posted this in the wrong forum. Here it goes again:

I would appreciate any opinions, ideas, comments, etc, to build my own lighting setup for my 110g reef aquarium. The tank is 60" long and 24"deep. For lights, I was thinking of using 2-250w MH (10k) and 2-110w VHO actinic bulbs (48"bulbs). Of course, 4 fans for cooling and hammertone reflector. For ballasts, I think I've heard enough praises here on electronic vs magnetic so I think perhaps the IceCap 660 for the VHOs and if anyone can recommend a good electronic ballast for the MH bulbs. The cabinetry, including the current stock canopy is oak so I would like to maintain the factory look if possible. Any help is appreciated!

Ed

2. Click Here!

3. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Welcome aboard matie....
    If you think you can match the color and stain of the stand then I would make a hood.
    Paint the inside of the hood with white epoxy paint.
    I don't have MH yet but looking at the eballast from ARCO. sells for approx 465 for 2 sets with wires and bulbs and they look nice with the 10k or 20k XM bulbs.

Are you planning on using the 2 6 footer VHO lights? Then if so making the hood to house this and the MH would be fairly simply. there are several different ways and maybe Omard and nugio can assist with this.

Do you have a photo of the stand?

4. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Sent ya some karma :D

5. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

I would also make a stand off where your HM lights go under the hood towards the back of the hood this way you can hide all the wires and they would be protected.

Maybe use a 1" x 2" with a stainless wing nut so you can get to them with ease.
    I made this drawing just as a starting point.

Attached Files:

6. JOER0178

JOER0178 Peppermint Shrimp

i am thinking about doing the same thing i like that design alot nautilus i like the way the doors open think im going to use this setup

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

8. Click Here!

9. JOER0178

what i like about these doors is that the open up like kitchen cabinets and i was thinking about putting the led moon light i made on the front and back panel. if i have the front open up or down i have to run the wires across the top panel so that i dont pull on the wires. this way i can run the wires alonfg the side. does that make sense, i dont know

10. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

11. JOER0178

one question if i upgrade from pc to metal halide should i put a couple layers of window screens between the lights and the tank and remove 1 every couple of days to acclimate everything to the increase in light

12. JOER0178

GOT THE FRAME BUILT THIS WEEKEND GOING TO FINISH IT BY NEXT WEEKEND. WILL POST PICS OF PROCESS WHEN IM DONE. ANYONE HAVE A GOOD WEBSITE TO BUY THE METAL HALIDE AND VHO FIXTURES FROM.

TIA
    JOE