Need help bad!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by gmccntryboy, Feb 12, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

What you have got to be kidding:p
    Sam, Please do, I didn't realize this was a fish only. But I still think a tang in a 36G tank is not the greatest Idea.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. gmccntryboy

gmccntryboy Astrea Snail

I am planning on adding live rock to replace the fake, i ordered so today online. I did have to water checked at my LFS and everything was fine. I ended up buying a diffrent nitrate test kit, and have changed water as I always have once a month sometimes sooner. and the nitrates are all most down to 0, stable at about 5-10 ppm but i notice it seems to be dropping. The tang is just in there temp. untill I can afford a larger tank, thinking about a 90 to 125 gallon or something in that range, but he is still pretty small, and swims around great. I stopped feeding so much also and everything is fine, they all eat good even my crabs. My cleaner shrimp will even eat from my hand.

4. Jason McKenzie

gmccntryboy,
    When you say you changed your water, How much water are you changing?
    Nitrates usually hover around 5-10 so your doing good. It is very hard to get nitrates to zero. It's Nitrite you have to worry about.

J

5. gmccntryboy

gmccntryboy Astrea Snail

My nitrites and ammonia stay 0, I usually change out 8 or 9 gallons depending on if I haven't topped off the water level in my sump. (If it drops from evaporation and its close for a water change I just change the water and bring level up in the sump) I believe I read 20% water change was recommened Is this right? I have around 40 gallons let say, in tank and sump so 8-9 gallons should be right, or what do you suggest?

6. Jason McKenzie

Watch out! Remember evaporation is only water no salt in evaporated from you tank. So if you loose 2G to evap and you perform a 8G water change you are adding 2G of over concentrated salt water.

7. gmccntryboy

gmccntryboy Astrea Snail

No, No, I check SG before and after each and every water change. I do agree and compensate for evap. I was just saying I change that much If I have not topped off water level. I'm trying to round up all my parts for a coiled denitrator to bring nitrates down even further, and plan on getting more LR when my check book can handle it, you know. Thanks for the info. There are a lot or experienced people on 3reef and I thank each and everyone of you. As you know I'm a newbie to saltwater keeping but I love it. It awsome.