Need help - at a loss

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Mr._Bond, Nov 20, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mr._Bond

Mr._Bond Feather Duster

Hi everyone, I am in desperate need of your help. About 6to 9 months ago, I found my water filter had given out on me, I was pumping phosphates (and who knows what else) into my tank. I was overtaken with algae and just about the whole tank died off. Now we had our floors done and so the tank came down - I kept the live rock in a completely dark trash can for almost a full 4 weeks. When it was time to set the tank up again, I scrubbed everything to its fullest (including the rock), put it all back together and gave it time - watching for a cylcle. I had a small one, and it cleared out and soon all my water parameters were normal again and I thought things were good. I did a water change and I added a full blown cleaner crew. However, soon after having the lights on again (for a leather coral) - that I worked up to (that is 2 hours a day for a week, then 3 hours, then 4 and so on), I once again have algae growing on everything and everywhere. I don't want a repeat of things. My water parameters seems fine, with the exception of a slightly elevated nitrate level - like .10. But no phosphates, no nitrites, no ammonia, temp is 76, specific gravity is 1.026. My tests match those of the LFS, so I think they are accurate. Do any of you have any thoughts on what might be going on? I planned to get a lawn mower blenny and see if he can do anything with it, but don't want to treat the symptoms, but rather take care of the cause. Any thoughts anyone? Things to check for, things to do, etc. Please help!

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

do you have sand in the tank? If you didn't change out the sand, phosphates could be leeching out of it....the rock may also be leeching it as well......

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Two things might be happening. In the absence of a dramatic cycle you still might have some normal algae blooms. The other alternative maybe that the rock has enough phosphates to feed algae (I am not a fan of rocks leeching phosphate theory). If it does not resolve you can try another black out, think about an ATS if the issue becomes chronic again. It may pass in time as long as you continue to avoid introduction of phophates when possible.

5. Mr._Bond

Mr._Bond Feather Duster

I did have some sand as well, that I had rinsed... If it is "leaching", anything I can do about that or just wait it out? Phosphate sponge?
    What is an ATS?

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Algae Turf Scrubber: Member Vinny has a nice thread.

7. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

Okay, DON'T do this unless you're comfortable doing it. But I siphon all my sand every week. Once I started this, my HA is gone. I started doing this a few months after my tank went up. So since you just put urs up, you may want to start this as your weekly cleaning regimen.

8. Click Here!

9. Scuba Ken

Scuba Ken Ritteri Anemone

Get some vodka going (you can have some too if you wish)
    Some great threads on here about dosing, I do a cap 3 times a week in my 480 gallon system, you really need some help with this, as I am pretty sure I'm doing it wrong, but it does work for me (I don't have corals) I don't have algae problems in the DT at all.

10. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

It seems like the only possible source is either the sand or rock, unless you over feed which I doubt.