Need Feedback: 29g Biocube Placement in House

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Astrick117, Dec 26, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Hi Everyone,

Its been a while since I've been on here, but have a couple quick questions for everyone.

My fiancee and I recently bought a house and moved in last weekend. The only thing that I haven't moved over yet is my 29g Biocube and I need to figure out where I am going to put it.
    1. Do I need to worry about the weight with it being a smaller tank? My only thought is that although it is only ~300 lbs, it is on a fairly small 20" x 20" foot print leading to about 100 lbs/sqft.
    2. I would like to place it in our living room, but the wall it would be against is along the stairs and is not weight bearing. In fact, it would fall right in the middle of the span between the weight bearing walls. We have 2 x 8 construction spaced 16" apart across an 11ft span. So it would hit 2 joists, but would be in the middle of the span and one of the joists is actually doubled up to account for the stairway. Should I be worried about sagging and damage from the weight of the tank?
      • The 2nd option is in the corner of 2 weight bearing walls, but it is far from ideal, as it is right next to 2 windows and would be subject to drafts and direct sunlight.
    Thanks,

Aaron

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  2. Click Here!

3. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I think your first option sounds OK, even on 2x8's, especially near one end/wall.
    Sounds like you have a basement and could brace things better as well if needed?

Other 'engineers' will chine in, I say go for it

cody3819 likes this.
  4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I think your first option sounds OK, even on 2x8's, especially near one end/wall.
    Sounds like you have a basement and could brace things better as well if needed?

Other 'engineers' will chine in, I say go for it

5. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Yea, after posting I found a thread that talked about general rules for making sure your floor could hold your tank weight and it said generally you don't have to worry much about 55 gallons or less. My thought was the same, that it shouldn't be enough weight to cause and issue even though it is concentrated in a smaller area.

cody3819 likes this.