Need bulb help

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by Raul Badillo, Jan 31, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Raul Badillo

Raul Badillo Astrea Snail

Hi guys, well i really need some help. I am new to metal halides and when i bought my system i did not ask about the lighting. Now one of my bulbs is out and I dont know what i can get. What was in it was a 250 watt corallife mongul base. What i know is my ballast is a older magnetic ballast. My buddy that owns the LFS had two coralvue bulbs that he let me try out but they dont start up. They are brand new and from doing a little research i know that they are a pulse start bulb and my old bulb is a probe start. Now, i cant remove my ballast as they are in a hard to reach area. I can get another coralife bulb but want better ones. Can someone help me find the best 12k 250w single ended probe start bulb that will work with my magnetic ballast? Thank you. You can even text me at 701 541 1246. My name is Raul. Again thank you.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

..sounds familiar...I could fill the ocean with stuff that wasn't told to me until after I started...LOL, questions are good.
    So as for your light, I had one like that..I do recall it was an expensive bulb..I just checked ebay, and it looks like they have not come down a bit. : ( But, I seen some out there..if you wanna pay the freight....
    Is this the beast?
    Reeflux 250W 250 Watt 12K Metal Halide Single Ended | eBay

4. Raul Badillo

same style bulb but not the correct type, i have a probe start bulb not a pulse start.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  5. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

6. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

sorry, I had it backwards...that sux...might be time to upgrade already?;D

7. steve wright

from Googling for a short time

I find that Radium, Ushio and Aqualine make Pulse start MH E40 single ended lamps

I have also noticed that most US manufacturers produce Probe start, whilst European lamps are most often Pulse start

Metal Halide Bulbs

which if it is the case, hopefully the list above helps

8. Click Here!

9. steve wright

10. 1fishyguy

1fishyguy Purple Spiny Lobster

Check out SOS lighting.

11. Raul Badillo

Oh wow you guys are a real help!! Super happy to have finally joined a forum as i have been reef keeping for a year now on my 3rd tank size upgrade;D. For lillysgranpa yea i will upgrade but not until i get into a house as my ballasts are tucked behind my fuge which cannot be moved due to be plumbed to my cpr sump and i am afraide of breaking the glass if i attempt to move it. I want ushio bulbs but would like a 12k bulb as i think they have a nice hue to them vs my current 10k. I dont care about bulb price as my tank is full of acro frags and i want the best light for them par wise but without going into the yellow zone as i like to call it. Again you guys rock. btw, any fargo north dakotans on this site?? lol

12. Raul Badillo

Steve the reeflux bulb might fire up but they dont recommend using them with magnetic probe start ballasts as they are a pulse start bulb. I will keep looking thought lol