Need advice

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by evojoe67, Jul 22, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. evojoe67

evojoe67 Aiptasia Anemone

Ok so I took about 2 years off from the hobby and i'm getting ready to start back up again.

I've got 2-210 gallon tanks filled with what was once live rock.
    As we all know,live rock is very expensive so I would like to know how I could use the rock I've got so that I don't need to purchase anymore.

If I buy the live sand,can I use that to "seed" the once live rock:confused:

Should I buy a few pieces of live rock and let it seed the tank:confused:

I am not concerned with time as I am in no rush and can wait to add fish and corals.
    It's more important for me to use what I have and save some $.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

All you need to do is place the old rock in a SW environment with some flow. I would probably rinse it though first.

You can add sources of organic matter for decay to initiate the cycle such as raw shrimp, fish food.....

You can also use any number of products such as Dr.Tims or MB7.

You do not need live sand either. The nitrogen cycle will happen regardless.

Stock slowly after the initial cycle and your good to go.

4. evojoe67

evojoe67 Aiptasia Anemone

Thanks for the advice.

How long do you think i'll need to wait for the tank to cycle before adding fish & corals:confused:

5. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Simple answer is, as long as it takes to cycle. It can take anywhere from a couple weeks, to a couple months. Plan on around 8 weeks before adding corals or fish though to be safe. If you are ready at 6 weeks, then all the better.