Need advice on my plumbing plans for system

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by leighton1245, Jan 21, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

Thank you for your help I answered all the questions above, im not very good with these kinds of things and the only reason I am using a wet/dry filter and a sump/fuge is because that is what was reccomened for the filter when I purchased it. I forgot to add yes my tank is a up and running reef tank.

2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Read the article in my sig on sumps filters and fuges.... hopefully you will better understand what you are trying to accomplish.

Stop taking advice from who ever recommended selling you a W/D and a sump/fuge. ;)

4. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

OK Great!!!

Lemme work on this for you . . . gimme a few min!

5. leighton1245

So instead of having a W/D take the media out and make that the fuge and my other tank a sump just so I understand?

6. leighton1245

Thank you

7. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

You just need one tank period. Get one as big as you like. Volume is good. Make a sump/fuge out of it. Skimmer on one side... drain split to fuge on the other end... return chamber in the middle. The bigger you make it, the less cramped and more volume... if all you can fit in the foot print is a 30g... that will do fine.

A Little Giant 1500 gph pump is way over kill. You will only need around 5-6 times tank volume going through your sump. that mean 5-6 times 75g.... with all this cash we are saving you, buy the best skimmer you can afford.... for you look at a SRO 2000xp perhaps.

Read the article to understand where I am coming from. Read the one on skimmers to better inform your purchase of one.

8. Click Here!

9. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

I must respectfully dissagree - 5-6X in a sump is kind of low - especially if you have mechanical and chemical filtration. I agree that your entire systems turnover rate should not be totally reliant on only the return pump - but 375 GPH for a 75 gallon marine tank is not enough flow for a return IMO.

I say go with a bigger pump - you should always install a ball valve or gate valve on the return line anyway - and with a bigger pump you can run it below capcity and reduce power consumption and increase the performance life of the pump.

10. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Return pumps are for return not for circulation. Head loss is a huge power waste. Closed loops remove this loss because they are not open to a sump. Yet the most efficient water movers are power heads in the tank. They move the most water for the least power.

Mechanical filtration is just a sponge/floss/sock... what is the ideal rate for a sponge? You are filtering out particles... yet many do not run or need the added expense and maintenance of mechanical filters. That is what skimmers are for.

Chemical reactors are usually run by maxi jets.... after the media is added and then clogs up... you are only putting 100-200 gph through them. Plus... that is not dependent on sump flow if you put it in one area with water to be processed and then send it to the return pump. It's still processing 100-200 gph of unprocessed water.

The only thing that needs to be supplied in a sump is a skimmer... the only amount it needs is how ever much it can process.... for the 2000 I mentioned that is about 350 gph maybe. Less water than that and it sort of recirs, more than that it still can only do 350 gph. And that is a huge skimmer for a 75g... the most he needs... he could do just fine with less.

Fuge needs about 10x actual fuge water volume...on a 30g sump/fuge that is 10g max... so 100 gph max.

So all told 450gph maybe... any more than that and all you are doing is needlessly moving water and using more power and adding more heat to the system. So go 600 gph... is that the end of the world... not really... plenty of flow. But 1500 gph from a little giant external pump????

Mag 9.5 is plenty, Ehiem 1260/62 is plenty. Much less money and power.

11. leighton1245

I already have purchased the items that I listed with the idea that im going to be moving to a bigger tank within a year or so.

12. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Don't know what that was...

anyway, ya, in that case just throttle it back.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011