Need advice on my plumbing plans for system

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by leighton1245, Jan 21, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

So im in the process of planing my wet/dry filter and sump/fuge plumbing and need someone that is smarter then me to look at what i have drawn to see if it makes sence or please help with adjustments or advice on how to change it. Plan is to use 1" bulk heads with 1.5" pvc for return and feed lines. 2 of the lines are main lines and the 3rd is a emergeancy drain line (if the power goes out). Not quite sure about the return pump feed line out of the fuge (like if it needs to come out the side or if it can come up and over the top?.

Pic will be up in a bit.

[​IMG]
    Flow diagram

[​IMG]

Design of actual plumbing from back of the tank.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. ionlifeionizer

ionlifeionizer Plankton

Proper blueprint

The framing you find in a wall may be different than you expected or there may be wiring where you want to run pipes.

4. leighton1245

I forgot to say the area behind my tank is completely open 2ft between my tank and the wall :)

5. damon

damon Sea Dragon

I'm not the greatest person to help, but I had a hard time following your drawing. Some people might see it better than me, but I think you might get more response if you took the time to draw it out a little clearer, so all of us understood what your doing better.

6. leighton1245

will do thanks for the advice

7. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Tell you what - give me a list of what pieces of equipment you want to connect such as:

overflow boxes or is tank going to be drilled?

You are going to have a 30 gallon wet/dry - is that a tank or custom fuge? What are the dims? Is the 30 gallon tank drilled with bulkhead?

You have a lower sump/fuge tank/vessel - is that a tank or custom sump? Is it drilled?

If you can tell me the sizes and whether these vessels are drilled - I would gladly draw for you what I think is an appropriate plumbing scheme.

8. Click Here!

9. trijam

trijam Coral Banded Shrimp

Is this a bean animal drain? If it is have all three drain to your wet dry, 1" bulk heads will not work for 1.5" pvc. You should use 1.5" pvc on the overflows and 1" on the return lines. You should put a baffle in the fuge to maintain a certain water level depending on your sand bed depth. You'll want to keep pods and macro from being sucked into your return pump so I would drill the side of the fuge at about 3" from the bottom this will allow for water to flow over a baffle reducing bubbles going into your DT. Hope this digram helps it is pretty much the same as yours with some minor changes. You may want to add a ball valve on the return to adjust flow. JMHO;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  10. damon

damon Sea Dragon

Dam I'd jump on that if it where me, that's a pretty nice offer :yaknow:

11. trijam

trijam Coral Banded Shrimp

I know the more water the better but personally I would get rid of the wet/dry filter eventually you'll want to anyway because of maintenance. Just set up something like this. Take 29g and make three compartments. Compartment one protien skimmer, middle return pump and fuge on the opposite side of the return pump. Where the overflow comes down put a t and a ball valve to adjust flow and run some overflow unskimmed water to your fuge. This way your most of your water is skimmed but your fuge gets some nutrients to feed your macro and pods. This is mine set up before it was filled. I have never had an algae problem and it gives me the opportunity to expand with reactors and what not for future.;)

Attached Files:

12. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Agreed ^^^ I'm not sure what your "filtration" strategy is going to be. There is no need for a W/D and a sump /fuge. Too complicated. It is generally assumed here that tanks are going to be a "reef" tank... is that the case or is theis FO or FOWLR?