Need advice on cleaning rock pulled from Earth

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by DangerDave, Sep 2, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DangerDave

DangerDave Astrea Snail

I got some rock from my dads house.

I know to soak them and see if they break and/or rub off.

What can I do to clean them and make the natural colors come out?

I know how to nuke SW rock, but wasn't sure how to do FW rock.

2. Click Here!

3. rmelvin23

rmelvin23 Skunk Shrimp

You want to make sure they have never been sprayed with insecticide or pesticides. It will leach into the rock and you can't get it all the way out.

4. DangerDave

DangerDave Astrea Snail

No I wouldn't think that is would be sprayed with anything.

He only sprays around the house.

He has 160 something acres.

I pulled them from in and around a creak.

5. phal.repth

phal.repth Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I've been told to soak things in a vinegar and hot water solution. I just recovered from ich AND finrot (well, I haven't, but what's left of my fish have). And right now I'm soaking every last thing in a hot water and just plain, white vinegar solution.

Say, 2 cups per gallon or so. Something like that. The vinegar will not hurt the fish any at all.

Hope this helps!

Also, scrub them with a tooth brush to get in the tight places!!

_chi_

6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Bleach first, then vinegar, then baking soda, then a while in SW. Rinse very well in between and allow to dry.
    Your probably going to have to soak it in SW for a while, changing the water out every few days or so. Depending on what type of rock it is, it can really mess with the PH, so your going to want to have that all stabilized before adding to a tank. This can take anywhere from a week to a few months

7. Catfish Charlie

Catfish Charlie Astrea Snail

someone else posted this in another thread, but it holds true here as well, get yer rocks. rinse them off, let them dry, (this assuming you haven't done all this other stuff to them) drop one or two drops of test solution from the #1 bottle of an API nitrate test, its sulfuric acid, if it bubles, don't use the rock, just FYI API pH down is sulfuric acid too.

all this salt rinsing vinegar stuff, too confusing, rinse them, clorox em, rinse them, test them for excess carbonates, and if doesn't bubble its good to go. By clorox just get a bucket and add some clorox, a dab will do, let the rocks sit in there for a few minutes, rise them off, use some dechor on them and rinse them and they will be fine.

Generally Speaking most rocks you find by a river are going to be just fine.

Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be, no disrespect to anyone elses advice, I've just been doing this for so long, some times simpler is better, kind of that less is more atitude I guess.

8. Click Here!

9. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

What about harmful metals/minerals that may leech into your system overtime? Iron for instance...............

10. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

this is for fw tank.

I have used some creek rocks for my fw tank and I just rinsed them. So far 6 years later they are still fine. But still be carefull you never know what a rock may contain

11. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

AHA!.... Pardon me...... Freshwater section.

12. JohnFritts

JohnFritts Peppermint Shrimp

Lime...