need advice on aquarium stand

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Marie0912, Jan 30, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Marie0912

Marie0912 Fire Shrimp

I am building my aquarium stand today and i need advice.

Do I need to put big holes in the back of the stand for ventilation or can i totally enclosed it and just put holes for pipes.

Also do recommended to mount your power strip on the inside of the stand, could that be a problem with all the water down there?

2. Click Here!

3. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

Id leave an open back. Also no center brace where the doors are for better arm movement and the capability of removing equipment in and out with ease.

I have my energy bars mounted on the inner left and right walls with no problems.

4. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

I leave the back of my stands open for circulation, the humidity really builds up if you don't.

The power strips are mounted horizontally up high so all cords have a drip loop before plugging in.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  5. Marie0912

Marie0912 Fire Shrimp

Thanks for your advice, I see that you have a fan hook up what is the purpose of it. I m really new to this hobby so any good advice I'l take them. Thanks again

6. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

I use fans for all cooling. I used to have a 1/4 HP chiller but through proper placement and orientation of fans in the canopy and a clip on fan over the sump the chiller never ran anymore. I sold the chiller and bought an autotopoff system instead since fans do lead to evaporation but the power savings is tremendous and I run the very same 79-81 degrees year round.
    The canopy has two 120mm (4") computer fans, one in each end blowing in that run only when the 2x250 MH lights are on and the clip on fan over the sump is controlled by my Reefkeeper Lite via temperature, it only comes on if the tank reaches 81 but again rarely ever runs.