Nearby Mushroom cause SPS to bleach?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Night-Rida, May 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

would a nearby Mushroom cause SPS to bleach? I have a few purple mushrooms next to my purple digitata frag. not touching but within 1" of sps. notice the frag has lost its color and is mainly white. brown polyps are still coming out on about 50-60% of frag. I did just move it to a temp frag rack very high in the tank to recover. could this close contact with a softie cause this damage? should I keep my softies away from my top row of rocks where I keep my sps corals at? btw. I might have had a small phoshate & nitrate spike due to overfeeding for last 7-9 days. but did install some GFO and new carbon a couple days ago.

thanks.

nitrates: 20ppm
    salinity 1.026
    temp 79-81
    amon. 0
    nitrite 0
    phos: need to test, usally .025
    ph: 8.0
    dkh: 14
    calcium 450
    mag 1300

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Night - Rida

I dont know for a fact this could explain the bleaching as I dont have any shrooms close to my SPS

I do however have some brown hairy shrooms attached to one of my GSP colonies in my 4ft and when the shrooms close up , you can see a perfect circle of purple matt, where GSP polyps dont open due to the presence of the shrooms

so my opinion is that the shrooms may well account for the bleaching in the SPS

I took a desicion some months ago to remove majority of softies from my 5ft for this very reason , I still have a couple of shroom colonies and some Zoas, but I took the desicion based on the exact concern your expressing , I feared softies with sting ability or toxin release ability (leathers etc)

I would keep anything thats not an SPS coral away from your SPS corals

Steve

4. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Shrooms will usually kill whatever parts of sps they touch. That is why most people treat shrooms like pests.

5. papareef

papareef Feather Duster

Yes almost any kind of mushrooms can kill sps.From my experience the hairy ones are the most deadly ones.I'm had hairy shrooms brushing against frogspawn,shrooms win.I know some say to not keep leathers,and shrooms with sps,i've had no chemical warfare,and i don't run carbon.They just can't touch..

6. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

[​IMG]

here's a update on my nitrates and phosphates. just tested.

phos: 0 (first time ever)
    nitrates: 15 (dropped 5ppm overnite)

in the picture is a homemade emergency CD cover frag rack. the color was orginally brown with purple tips & and brown polyps. now its white with brown tips and you can see the brown polyps extended on 1/2 the coral.

also all my other sps, lps, and softies are doing great. sidenote this purple digitata had the lowest placement in the tank compared to other sps corals.. it was half way up, but directly under 2 t5 bulbs. other sps are 4-6" higher in placement.

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  7. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

ok, thanks everyone for the help. I'm just going to leave it by itself on the frg rack for a while and relocate those purple mushrooms lower in the tank. the only other softies by the sps's are zoas but they been there a long time and at least 5+" inches away.. just these mushrooms where pretty close to the digitata. I guess thats what I get for trying to put two purple corals side by side. below is a picture of prior placement, to close in your guys opinion?

[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Absolutely...I had a finger leather die...took out my Toadstool...then lost my Acro and Birdsnest within days. Keep proper space!!! (Killer Frag Rack!!!!)

10. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Look a bit to close to me
    they can expand, stretch so they could get closer and possibly touch, normally when your not watching (Murphys law of reef tank compatibility)

Steve

11. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

Im running out of space in this 55g!!! killer frag rack! lol it works, little super glue, 1/2 cd cover and mag float. cool thing is its free and the light goes right through it.

yea the shrooms are definitly going low in my tank after this. see how these things can grow in a toilet bowl. I may have to run a 36"x4" eggcrate along the top of my tank for future sps frags as room is running short!

12. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

My LFS has a huge hairy shroom and she said it ate a small yellow watchman. sorry to be so off topic. but its a wild true story.