NBA Star Yao Ming Swears off Shark Fin Soup

Discussion in 'Environmental' started by Matt Rogers, Aug 7, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Thats awsome. Eventually all people that eat it will die of mercury posioning though o_O . But at least he is trying to help out :).

4. serotonin

serotonin Purple Spiny Lobster

I had no idea people even ate those, let alone think there a delicacy of sorts. Nice to hear about Yao making it public! :) Nice post.

5. Monacle

Monacle Skunk Shrimp

Ok... Hope I don't tick anyone off, but I gotta add my 2cents here. I have no problem with people eating animals. We are sharing opinions here, I understand some people FEEL very strongly about their opinions, but I believe animals were put here for our use, and we should be able to use them how we feel we should (in a general responsible way) NOW, with that being said, it is my understanding that with shark fin soup, alot of the fisheries catch the shark somehow and then cut the fin off and discard the rest of the shark......... is this right?? If so, this is terribly wrong. Waste not want not and no one has the right to waste animals. Again we're talking opinion here. Reminds me of hearing how people in the old west would shoot hundreds of buffalo from a train and then they would collect just the heads and hooves and leave the bodies there to rot. That makes me sick to the stomache just thinking about it, but I must re-state that had they harvested the entire animal and all of it went to the use of humans, I would not have a problem with it at all.
    I'm glad we all can share our opinions here and I hope I haven't made any enemies.
    GLTA

6. Zissou

Zissou Fire Shrimp

managable consumption is the key. its nice to see conservation of ocean life in the news. thanks for the article matt.

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That is exactly what they do. The buffalo analogy is a good one.
    I heard some guy on TV last year saying they caught 200 million sharks last year for finning.

I eat animals and even enjoy fishing myself, but considering sharks slow reproductive cycle - THIS IS INSANE.

More info here:
    Finning fact sheet

8. Click Here!

9. Monacle

Monacle Skunk Shrimp

I agree 100 percent. A also hear that in china, that they are real big on turtle soup and they go through tons of it. At least they can farm those, unlike the sharks. Another analogy is those crazy wierdos killing an entire rhino so they can take the horn and grind it into a powder to make some kind of aphrodisiac. Doesn't make sense to me, I thought we were learning, I guess not all of us have caught up.