Natural Sunlight

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by TinFury, Aug 17, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Urban_s

Urban_s Sea Dragon

2. Click Here!

3. vivas

vivas Plankton

just to add to this thread: i have a custom 15 gallon that i built only 8 inches high and 28 inches deep to put in front of my window facing the east, have natural sun for about 8-9 hours with an added 4-5 hours of sunrise. Hammer zooanthids, pulsating xenia, milky white BTA and clam all doing great. tonns of coraline growth....

4. TinFury

TinFury Fire Shrimp

What about unwanted algee growth? Can you post a pic of your tank?

5. vivas

vivas Plankton

algae boomed for a bit, got an aqua clear filled it with macro and the algae diatom blooms stopped cause of the competition. some red slime, very little once, all gone. i'll try to get a pic up i have an old old pic here though, it's almost completely different from last time i took this:
    around 5 am..
    [​IMG]
    btwn 9-10 am
    [​IMG]
    12 - 5 or so..
    [​IMG]

only warning though: the weather plays a huge part, i went through 'bout 3 days of really cloudy weather, nothing happened to any of my corals, but you should have a back up plan. i just built a canopy with legs that i can easily take off and on that houses 2 58watt t-5's that are 12'' above. since my tank is only 8" deep it easily penetrates to the bottom. i've only used them a couple of times though

6. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

7. TinFury

TinFury Fire Shrimp

Awesome. I'm going to try it :)