Natural Sunlight

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by TinFury, Aug 17, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Monacle

Monacle Skunk Shrimp

I like the idea. I allow it to happen on some of my tanks and I don't notice a difference in algae between the tanks that get it and the tanks that don't. Just keep those water perams in great shape and you should be ok. If the algae doesn't have anything to feed on........
    GL to you

2. Click Here!

3. TinFury

TinFury Fire Shrimp

Has anyone out there actually made a fishtank that doesn't have any other form of light other than sunlight?

4. Monacle

Monacle Skunk Shrimp

I did in the past with a sky light and it worked ok... I still think for a reef that the mh and vhos are the ticket.

5. jonathan

jonathan Aiptasia Anemone

my tank is right next to a window. i only run a metal halide with no other supplementation......so i basically use the natural light for my dawn/dusk effect. i've never had an algae problem either......

6. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

well, i do it and it's only about an hour but my tank isn't right next to a window and i don't get direct light.

7. geoxman

geoxman Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

8. Click Here!

9. Boomer

Boomer Feather Duster

I agree with Am , although it can be done but one needs to know what they are doing.

10. jonathan

jonathan Aiptasia Anemone

11. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

I've been wanting to do the natural sun rise thing, then kick in my halides. But since my tank is in my room, I dont feel right keeping my blinds open all night. ...spooky.

12. bouraganes

bouraganes Peppermint Shrimp

there is a lfs in my area with a 25 foot by 6 foot frag tank which is grown under a skylight- there are backup lights but in 2 years I've never seen them on!