"Natural" Sand...

Discussion in 'Sand' started by omard, Jan 8, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

I now have "source" for Southdown...

But am still wondering - what are major drawbacks of going out to one of the number of great beaches nearby and collecting own?

Has got to be "clean" - is "washed" a couple of times a day by the entire Pacific ocean. - "life" in sand may not like new "warm water environment" - but would quickly be be replaced by that that is.

Even though i can can get the commerical stuff pretty cheap, I like the idea of gathering own.

OmarD

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Unfortunately the beach is where lots of pollution gets deposited. There can be lots of contaminants and things that could possibly have a very negative effect on your tank long term. Matt Rogers has some experience wuth this and he may be able to give you some more specifics.

4. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

The source of the sand., ie. what kind of rock is it from. Most beaches on the west coast are a silica sand, granite and such, not really all that great for maintaining your alkalinity and ph levels. That said, theres really nothing wrong with it for certain cases. I have some tanks at work were I use it so copper and such won't bind up into it. Silica is usually fairly sharp, so sand dwelling creatures won't like it. Many worms have a hard time with anything but oolitic (which actually consists of pefectly round mini spheres of calcium carbonate). Another drawback is, are you in the sound? Theres a few really bad areas to collect within the sound, Dr Shimek did or still is doing a research project for the government on a super fund clean up site. I forgot what the substance was/is, but I know it is/wasn't good at all. Plus theres elevated levels of pesticides and such in the sound due to the farming action up rivers.

South Down is excellent, but Caribsea oolitic(way more exspensive) which is from the same mine, is better screened for our use. I had to remove a bunch of junk from my South Down, way more then the screened Caribsea. I now will put a bag into a 20g tank and rinse the bajesus outa it. The crud just floats up and out with a little poking/moving around of the sand.

One last thing, "natural" sand contains many minerals and metals we don't want. If your using a magnetic cleaner or powerheads close to the sand bed, metals from sand will find there ways to them. I'd run a large magnet thru your sand prior to placing it in your system. That way most metals will be pulled out.

I know, back and forth, back and forth, but you got all most all the pro's and con's in one go:)

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Awesome info. Gresham thanks for detailing my general comment!

6. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I had no clue you posted that until mine went up, great minds think alike:)

7. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Thank you both for good points and bad..

Understand about using "P. Sound" water. Even though some very nice looking sand on nearby beachs, I would be very reluctant to use.

In couple of hours can be on the very "pristine" beaches of far northwest corner of Wa state (Klaylock, La Push, etc.) mayber 100 miles from nearest large population centers or more commercialized beaches (Ocean Shores).

Even so, don't think I am willing to take the "risks" stated in above messages at this point just to save a few bucks.

Was just the idea of "gathering" own that I found appealing -

Maybe will try when I decide to set up a "local envirnoment" tank some day in the future.

Much appreciated.

OmarD

8. Click Here!

9. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Hey, don't discount that water then. Its a possiable source for NSW water for you then. My corals love NSW. They always open up more when I use it.

10. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Exactly the water I am using.

I get it straight from the Seattle Aquarium water treatment plant for 5 cents a gallon - Clean ocean water, UV treated and highly filtered - Same stuff they are using in their "very impressive" display tanks. I just ferry over and load up a couple of garbage cans full whenever I need it. Costs less then driving out to coast to get.

Just got a bill from them today. 50.48 gallons (pumped - they give you a special "credit card" to activate outside pump) for $2.53 - now that is tough to beat!

Will temporily "rent" 6-7 large new plastic garbage cans from Home Depot to initially fill new 120 gal tank..make a run in pickup across water - (then "return" cans to Home Depot when done - ::) )

I keep two full outside for periodic water changes now. - and do a fillup on any trip accross water.

Tank critters thriving in it.

OmarD

11. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Damn, now thats quite a nice deal.  We get a great deal for ours BUT NOT EVEN REMOTELY AS CHEAP AS THAT.  You've got one of the best deal I've ever heard about.  I mean, I heard of free from Scripps and such, but thats not as treated as yours.  You are truly blessed by that, I hope you know that.  I know where I'm moving if I ever do.  You've got insane diving, great fishing and next to free treated NSW.  Oh, and the Cascades to boot.

What stores do you frequent up there? Any in Seattle? Aquarium Concepts?

12. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Yep, PNW is a great place to live, as far to many of you Californian's have discovered. - been around the world a couple of times, and yet to have found a place better. (grew up as a Navy Dependent, and then spent 21 years active duty myself - all but 3 years overseas - so believe me, I KNOW)

May sound strange, but I have never been to a LFS in Seattle.

While I am only 45 minutes away by ferry, I rarely go about and wander in the big city.

Have done 99% of my aquarium purchases thru the internet.

We have one local shop that is pretty sub-standard - but has big advantage of being only one in town & has a large "captive" local Navy population who obviously like fish and have plenty of $$. - I have purchased two corals from him, 1 disintegrated within hours of going into my tank & of course he has no refund policy. - but I do go there to hang out and learn from him and others. (I just don't buy)

It is a tough market out there and I don't envy you smaller retail outfits one bit. Unless you are in a good location - the internet is hard to compete with for common purchases. Esp. with it having the sales tax advantage, which is a big factor if you live up here.

However - if you do ever consider moving - I know just the place that needs a good LFS - in fact it has none, and has "mega market" potential -

If you ever get serious about moving or "expanding" let me know and I will let you in on "secret" - is my "backdoor" if current employment ever "disappeared" for some reason - All it will cost you for "idea" is free stock for my tanks and a "job" if I ever need one. ;)

Thanks for all previous info & advice...

OmarD