natural play sand

Discussion in 'Sand' started by iLLwiLL, May 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

i picked up 100 pounds of this stuff at home depot for 6 dollars and plan to use it in my 125 along with a 20 pound bag of live bio-active sand. how should i go about rinsing this stuff? should it be rinsed in tap, ro, or salt water, or does that not really make a difference?

also how deep will the sand bed be with 120# of sand i a 6' x 18" footprint?

~Will.

2. Click Here!

3. IHAVEMTS

IHAVEMTS Fire Shrimp

I dont think you can use play sand?!?!?!?!

4. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Does the bag give any details on the content? Does it say silica based? If it does, you shouldn't use it. If it says aragonite, you're good.

I've heard from pretty reliable sources on this site that if it is aragonite, you should add it without rinsing. The dust contains the same ingredients as does Purple Up, which is good for coralline growth.

5. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

if it is dolomite or aragonite you can use it. I have heard of people using silica sand with success too although I wouldn't try it. FWIW I used dolomite sand from home depot in my tank and it has turned out fine.(just a higher magnesium content.)

6. coolridernum1

coolridernum1 Feather Duster

Play sand

I don't think I would use it..

But if you do IMO i would rinse it with salt water.. I would put 120lbs in your tank.that will make about 1-1 3/4" deep IMO.

I wouldn't use it because if fish die from it, think about the work to get 120lbs out of a tank.

Good luck,
    Mike

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Take a small amount of sand and immerse it in white vinegar. If it fizzes, it's aragonite. That's not to say that it will be 100% aragonite though.

8. Click Here!

9. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

its made by Sakrete, and heres a pic of the bag i got
    [​IMG]
    it doesn't say much about whats in it on the bag, but i'm pretty sure its silica based. does anyone else use this stuff presently or in the past? i've heard all the rumors about silica being a carcinogen for people, but i read thats only because they were breathing it it from sand blasting and it was cutting up their asophagus. theres alot of info both good and bad about this type of sand. i would love to hear any first hand experiences with it.

~Will.

10. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Algae growth is fueled by phosphates, silicates and other nutrients. I'd steer clear of it if it's not aragonite. Like amcarrig said, put a pinch into vinegar. It'll fizz if it's aragonite. Over 24 hours, it will completely disappear if it's aragonite.

11. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

the bad thing about play sand is it gets hard as a rock after a couple years.

12. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

well unless i can find someone with a first hand disaster story regarding this stuff i guess i'll be the guinea pig.

would balsamic vinegar count for the fizz test?

~Will.