Natural dosing?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Piano10, Feb 26, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

I need to get my alk and mag at higher level, its currently too low in my 10g.

Ca is 420
    Alk 6.7
    Mag 1200

Is there any natural products that can be dosed?

Yrs ago I remember using epsom salts for mag which worked well but I can't seem to find the info online for natural remedies

2. Click Here!

3. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

when is last time you did WC?

what does it test at couple hours later after WC

How much do you do when you do a WC?

4. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

On a 10g tank just do a 3-5g water change every 3 weeks or so. Unless you have lots of hard coral you shouldn't have a problem.

Look up 2 or 3 part recipes for dosing.

Swisswiss likes this.
  5. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

What they said.

Epsom Salts- Mag sulfate
    Ice melting products- there are Mag Chloride products,
    and Calcium Chloride products.
    Alk- use baking soda.

The above are what go into my versions of the home made 2 part products- it's actually 3 part- via dosing pumps on their own controller.
    I have a 320g system however.
    WC's with a half decent salt should be all you need.
    In fact, I wouldn't even test if I had a 10g! Many tests and the measuring techniques aren't always accurate.

6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

7. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

And IIRC,
    NSW is about 7 alk, and 1280 Mag, you're about that with those params you posted.

Could you please post a pic of your 10g? I'm NOT being sarcastic, I'd/we'd love to check it out.

Swisswiss likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

I normally do a wc weekly about a 1.5gallon
    I use io reef crystals

I only test monthly now because everything was doing good and going well but now my brain started receding, a small zoa patch that was spreading has melted away, and a goniapora died. My zenia, frogspawn, yuma, and other zoas are fine.

I do have a small number of flatworms. They only sit on the glass and aren't on any of the corals

I will have to monitor the parameters after a wc, then after a day, then a week and see exactly whats happening before deciding
    To dose.

Thanks for all the help

10. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

why don't you try a 3gl wc and then test your params.
    You should be seeing higher #'s with the IO.
    I would also have someone else test your alk and mag(or if you have other brand kits).

If you are using a hanna to run the ALK test you might want to make sure you are not running into the bad batch/batches of reagent.

Personally I see no reason you need to dose when upping your WC will most likely fix the issue in this tank.I recently(Feb 1st) started doing 5gl every 3 days on my 30 to help stabilize my ALK and MAG(I use IO also) and color testing. Big big difference in, color, polyp extension and ALK running mid 8 and mag 1350 range

You should also test the next batch WC before you put it in.
    what SG are you running

DSC reef likes this.
  11. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

My sg is 1.026

The issue is that for a few mnths now my alk and mag have been consistently at these numbers, even after water changes and even after switching salts.
    I don't use hanna kits, they aren't available. I use salifert and a master kit.

Out here the one store we have won't do any testing on water besides standard ammonia, nitrite etc.

I will try a larger water change to see what happens.

12. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

good on the sg
    salifert are good

Test the WC water before you do the change and then an hour after your change check the tank.
    So either do a 3gl wc in 1 day or 1.5gl every 3 days and give it a couple changes then check levels.
    Above assumes your WC water is coming up with #'s in the ALK 8 -9 MAG 1300-1400 CAL 400+ range (at least those are the #'s I get when I do the occasional check on my WC water). I like to make sure the batch salt I get are providing the expected ranges.

Every ones tank is different and hard to compare 1 against the other.
    Maybe the WC does not work for you but maybe the testing of batches prior to WC gives some answers
    You may find dosing is the answer in the end.

let us know what you find

DSC reef likes this.