'Natural' Chemicals?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Seano Hermano, May 24, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

The title is sort of an oxi-moron. But for reefs I know there are far more chemicals used to keep the system steady, apposed to that of a FOWLR setup. I was wondering if there were, I guess it would be called, treatments?, (since They are natural?) I could use to have a more natural environment for the inhabitants? I'm not a big fan of using chemicals. For example, for my tank, I use an all natural powdered calcium substance for my tank, to help with coralline growth, rather than the liquid 'chemical mixture' found in the bottle on the shelf next to it(at my LFS).

2. Click Here!

3. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

What do you mean by "chemicals?" If you want a more "natural" form of calcium you could take corals, snail shells, etc pulverize them and separate the calcium from the other minerals, but it would be the same stuff you can buy at the store though.

4. Seano Hermano

Well as I mentioned, I have a form of calcium already. It's called "agraMIGHT!". It says it "also contains magnesium, strontium, barium, and other trace elements". Are all (I guess what I mean by chemicals would be, supplements) ike this? I thought some contained artificial stuff too?

5. Seano Hermano

6. Seano Hermano

I didn't realize that most supplements are just straight whatever the supplement is, to be raised, and that's it? i.e. iodide is just iodide?

7. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

i agree it is best to get a compound that alters one parameter. Nothing worse than having hi alk and low calcium and all you got is AragaMilk around. :) Been there....

8. Click Here!

9. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Iodide is usually potassium iodide, as Iodide isn't an element in and of itself. Usually, a calcium supplement will be calcium chloride and water. Alk will be sodium (bi)carbonate. Magnesium will be some mix of magnesium sulfate and magnesium chloride. When you supplement everything, the extra stuff tends to end up being sodium chloride (salt, for the chemically impaired) and a few trace element ions.

I would go with a dry, bulk supplement, like what Bulk Reef Supply sells, as it's not nearly as expensive as buying it premixed in the (relatively) smaller bottles.

10. Seano Hermano

-ok. Thanks raven. I do also remember now the manager at the LFS telling me about dry bulk being cheaper.
    -I'm not chemically impaired. Just misunderstood. :)

11. stoppay

stoppay Astrea Snail

OP, pardon me for asking but are you a Vegan?

12. Seano Hermano

No. I eat meat and dairy. :) I've thought about going vegetarian though. lol