Resolved Nasty looking worm UPDATE 1/16/11

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Magnus, Jan 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

UPDATE 1/16/11 http://www.3reef.com/forums/id/nasty-looking-worm-101792.html#post1052188

I have a nasty looking worm that is eating my Dwarf Cerith Snails. For a while now, I've noticed in a corner of the tank, behind a rock, a little pile of dwarf ceriths, but since I saw them always at day time, I didn't worry. I assumed they would climb up that juicy glass and eat the dust algae and... that for some reason, they like to hang out in that corner.

Last night, I was kind of walking around the tank and saw something weird on the mentioned corner. I took a closer look, and saw this yellow or cream colored worm. It looks like a bristle worm, but it's a hell of a lot bigger than the ones I've seen so far, and the color is different, of course. It was coming out of a very tiny hole and had stretched over 4 inches.
    I was amazed and stayed looking at him and remember thinking of him as papa bristle, but then I saw him snatch one of my dwarf ceriths from the glass, and quickly retract towards his hole, where he proceeded to slowly eat the snail. That got me considerably PO'ed so in order to get him I took pics to see if you can give me some advice.

Here's the nasty worm... or at least a little part of it. I'm sure he can stretch quite a bit:

Click on pictures to expand them for a better view.

This is after snatching the Dwarf cerith
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are a few more in case some detail helps ID and eventually capture
    [​IMG]

And dining time at the opening of his little hole house.

[​IMG]

Here's the grave yard
    [​IMG]

Also, I think he's got babies since I saw one crawling off from the shell of a Nassarius, check it out:
    [​IMG]

Is there a home made trap or something I could build to catch them? I like my snails!!! Also, if so, what do I use as bait? Obviously snails are out of the question.

Thanks in advance for your help, guys and gals!!

- Magnus.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

ITs a bristle worm from what i can see...They are harmless, and beneficial.

I just removed a 8 inch one from my 14g becuz it was annoying corals and a zoa colony i had.

4. dharrill

dharrill Plankton

Be careful if you remove it with your hands you can get a little like stinger in your finger that you can't see but can't get out. They are ugly but they are benefical. Honestly, I hate them and don't like them in my tank. I know I should leave them alone but I get them out. There are many threads about bristle worms.

5. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Thanks guys. I'm sure this is not your regular bristle worm though. Probably one of the many, MANY variants since I have the other regular ones redish/pink with a dark spot near the tail and I've never seen them eat the snails. This ones has an appetite for them. I watched him tonight and he finishes one, and catches another one. So I started removing my ceriths from that side of the glass. I tried to catch the worm with some latex gloves on, but he quickly retracted into his hole as soon as I got close to him... didn't even touch him so he can freaking see me!!!

Like I said, I don't mind the bristle worms that don't eat my snails, but this one I do hate and want him out. He's inflicting some damage to my CUC.

Any Idea of how to get him out? Like I said, he quickly goes back inside the hole when I get close. No matter how fast I move, he always see me coming.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Unfortunate that it ate snails, but cool you caught it on tape.
    Check this link out mostly likely here. :)

Eunice

Could be anyone of these predatory worms but I can not tell from the pic.

1 person likes this.
  7. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Thanks, Coralline. I checked the provided link but could not find one quite like him. I will try and find out how to catch him. Hopefully his defenseless snail eating days are counted :0

I'll start researching about traps and will get back to post a full body pic if I get him.
    By the way, is that zoanthid on your avatar one of yours? It is very pretty. :)

8. Click Here!

9. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Can you remove the rock he is in? Might be easier to get if you got it out and put it in a bucket of water, so the bac doesn't die off. And I don't believe latex gloves will do much good against the bristles.

1 person likes this.
  10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Does it stay in one rock or hole? Bait the trap with a snail if you go that route. :)

Thanks, yes Lunar eclipes.

11. makeshiftcrew

makeshiftcrew Gigas Clam

I agree, if he stays in the same rock, take it out(replace with a new one a new one) and let it dry out...or bleach it...then wait a week or 2 then wash rock in some RO water...might get rid of it(if theres one there could be more)

1 person likes this.
  12. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

Probably some type of Eunicid Rock Worm. I have them in my tank and have witnessed them eat a Limpet, a Cerith, Bryopsis and GHA. They don't seem to bother with the Astrea though. This site is handy for making an ID.