nassarius vs maxima

Discussion in 'Clams' started by Billme, Nov 15, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Last night I found a nassarius inside my clam. The clam doesn't look good. It seems unable to close and the mantle is retracted. Needless to say, I got the snail out of there and have three more to locate. The snail was at the bottom of the clam near the hinge and looks severely damaged. Any hope for this fella? Thanks in advance.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Unfortunately the clam was probably dying already and the snail was eating dead and decaying tissue.

1 person likes this.
  4. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

The nassarius was only there because it smells decay. In which case, it's too late to do much for the clam I'm afraid.

Some people would toss the clam at this point, before it has a chance to really decay in your tank.

5. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Thanks for the replies. The clam was in fine shape before the attack. This happened once before when I first got Clam. A nassarius was on him the first day and did a little damage to the mantle. I got rid of him and the wound was about healed. I came to the conclusion that it was a whelk not a nassarius. Since then, I went without snails. I was recently told that a nassarius would be safe to add. I got the snail from a reliable LFS thinking it would be a nassarius and not a whelk. Just read an article that said suppliers are selling what they think are nassarius but are whelks. Apparently, whelks are meat eaters.

6. Jlobes

Jlobes Coral Banded Shrimp

whelks=bad news and dead clams. they are known clam eaters and general predators. Had a similar experience, "tongan nassarius" from an LFS, actually a whelk and ate my prize clam!

7. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Yeah, if it's a whelk, then what I said prior is invalid.

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

how does one tell the difference?

10. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Apparently it's difficult to tell the difference between a nassarius and whelk. One article I read said they are cheaper than a true nassarius. So the LFS can probably make a better profit. I'll look up and post some articles.

11. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Still got the snail? Take an image please.