Urgent Naso Tang Floating on Side at the Surface

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by hnnhflns, Jul 15, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hnnhflns

hnnhflns Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

We went to bed last night and she was fine. We got home late from a trip and she was her usual self and came to her corner to check out what we were doing.

However when we got up for work she was floating at the top of the tank on her side. Our QT tank is full of tangs from a separate tank that are recovering from ich (And doing really well by the way). So I put her in a large bucket with a heater and airstone.

She is housed in a 300 gallon DT (w/ a 300 gallon sump) with a couple small damsels, a tomato clown, and a pair of gold bar maroon clowns. She is by far the biggest fish in the tank and nobody has bothered her. She was mistaking the decorator crab for a rock last night when she was trying to sleep last night, but I don't think it bothered her.

I have been doing research. Is this a swim bladder problem? If so, how do I cure it? I have read several different theories. I gave her a smaller piece of red seaweed when I put her in the bucket, but she was never really into seaweed. If this isn't a swim bladder problem then what is it?

She isn't showing her distressed colors, and she looks pretty normal except for the side floating.

Please let me know; she is the sweetest fish we have. She sits right next to me in the aquarium when I am working at my desk and I would hate for her to die.

2. Click Here!

3. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

4. hnnhflns

She did get stuck to a powerhead a week or so ago. She was checking me out while I was sitting at my desk next to the tank and she got stuck to the Jebao WP-60 right above her.
    Not sure if that means anything. We didn't find her stuck to one this morning.

5. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

Do you feed a lot of brine shrimp?

6. hnnhflns

Not really. They are in the mix that I feed them. We blended up several types of seaweed along with reef supplements and oysters, clams, etc. and I mostly feed with that. She does accept pellets, but she isn't as interested in seaweed as our other tangs are. If dont use those I use Rod's Food.