Nano tanks and eels.

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by cody3819, Dec 1, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cody3819

cody3819 Bubble Tip Anemone

Anyone can think of a eel that will do well in a biocube 29. The eel must have to be 100% reef safe.

2. Click Here!

3. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

None IMO. If your wanting an eel to get rid of your peppermint shrimp I'd strongly suggest not doing that. Remove them the old fashioned way.

cody3819 likes this.
  4. cody3819

No.... I will remove it with a water bottle. But it just made me think of a eel. I was just woundering if there was one that is small enough.

5. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Two problems:
    1) no eel is 100% reef safe with the exception of maybe a garden eel which is a species that should simply be left in the ocean.

2) 29g is too small for any adult eel. Smallest tank would be a 55, and that's for a green wolf eel which is technically a pseudochromis

cody3819 likes this.
  6. Sataly

Sataly Coral Banded Shrimp

Not true. the smallest eel available to us are the golden dwarf morays. they stay pretty small and are favored for Nanos because how reclusive they are. I have a friend who has one and they are invert safe but being in the Gymnothorax family, they are known to be fish eaters but their heads are so small that smaller fish like yasha gobies and slender type fish would be your only worry.

edit: also should note that they do come with a pretty big price tag and really hard to find. my friend got his from a guy off of eBay for $130 WC.

cody3819 likes this.
  7. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I'm sorry but it's not just the size of the eel but also the tremendous bioload it will cause from just keeping it fed. Do you really want to "risk" any of your fish just to have an eel? Sorry sataly but I disagree and in no way should an eel be put in a biocube period.

8. Click Here!

9. cody3819

Thank you guys for all the info. I really don't know much about a eel, so again thanks for all the info

DSC reef likes this.
  10. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

This is why we're here cody, to help and enjoy this wonderful hobby.

oldfishkeeper and Vinnyboombatz like this.
  11. cody3819

Thanks so much! Helps out tremendously expecially since I'm new to the hobby.

DSC reef and Vinnyboombatz like this.
  12. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

We love noobies who ask lots of questions.☺

DSC reef and Corailline like this.