Nano-Skim: Great for the Nano Crowd!

Discussion in 'Marine Depot' started by MarineDepot, Apr 23, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MarineDepot

MarineDepot 3reef Sponsor

2. Click Here!

3. kstafford003

kstafford003 Feather Star

Oooo that looks nice. I purchased the innovative marine skimmer and I'm not too happy with it. I may have to make the switch. Thanks for sharing.

4. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

Any idea if this would fit in the back of a biocube 29?

5. MarineDepot

biocube 29 nano skim

Hi again, Toallhisdoom! Thanks for your question.

If you Google "biocube 29 nano skim," you can actually see photos and videos of this combination.

[​IMG]

6. Toallhisdoom

Hmmmmmmm lol thanks for the quick response! Now you got me interested haha

7. MarineDepot

Skimmer Upgrade Time?

Hello again, kstafford003! Thank you for checking out our blog post and for the feedback on the skimmer. The overall impression from hobbyists seems to be hit-or-miss, although we have a couple of staffers internally who use IM skimmers and like them (both in 38 gallon Nuvos, both have Tunze ATOs).

8. Click Here!

9. MarineDepot

Hydor Nano-Skim

With skimmers in general, but particularly this design, keeping a constant water level makes the skimmer performance better and more consistent.

10. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

This does infact fit in the back of the biocube. However I hate to be "that guy" but, I used to own the Hydror SlimSkim and I ended up returning the unit because it constantly skimmed "wet." After about 8 months of trying to fine tune and always scrapping feather-dusters I just decided to go skimmerless. For having such a small tank, you're best bet is just to focus on consistent water changes. IMO for tanks under 40g of actual water capacity(what is in the tank after rock and sand dispersion) nano skimmers are just a smoking mirror.

MarineDepot.com is still an amazing supplier and Hydror is a very good vendor. I have a Hydror return pump that has ran quiet, cool, and smooth for several years with minimal maintanence.

I'm a big fan of both, just not a fan of the Hydror nano skimmer!

11. Toallhisdoom

Just figured with running my bio pellets a skimmer would be a good idea

12. MarineDepot

To Nano-Skim or Not to Nano-Skim... that is the question

Thanks for weighing in! We appreciate the love. :sweethear We have several hobbyists on staff that don't run a skimmer on their nano. The majority do, but we also have the luxury of seeing items in person and/or testing them on an office tank before we pull the trigger and buy. We try to relay our experiences to potential customers by highlighting our favorites, although it's always helpful to hear what others say since every situation is different.