Nano Rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Bruce, Jun 16, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Hello all, i am starting a new 24 gal nano, i want to buy some nice uncured rock and am willing to cure it in my tank. i wanted to know if anyone knew what rock is best for a nano cube? fiji? buna? soloman branch? let me know :)

2. Click Here!

3. Area 51 Exotics

Area 51 Exotics 3reef Sponsor

Last edited: Jun 17, 2005
  4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I would look for some tonga branch rock. Just because of looks...the branchy stuff looks nice, and with a few flat pieces added, you can really aquascape nicely.

Also, aquacultured rock is usually more dense, less porous and does not denitrify as well. Plus you need more pounds to fill the space. You will also be introducing Atlantic critters in a tank with mainly Pacific creatures (unless you are doing an atlantic tank) that may or may not be able to tolerate each other. Such as a bacteria from pacific rock , the pacific animals may have an immunity to, but they may not be immune to an Atlantic bacteria and so forth....

Just My Opinion mind you! ::)

5. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

where is buna rock from?

6. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

i think its from fiji, well i think when i get it im gona dip it in the super salty water to get ride of the little bad critters, then brush off only the dead or dying corals and etc, then im gona let it cure in the tank for abour 1 month with some non live sand, then after 1 month im gona add some live sand, then a few days after ill add some snails and go from there :) proll during this time ill have the t-5 actinics on like 3-4 hours a day

7. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

ok also, i dont wanna start a new thread because there r alot about my new tank ok, so does anyone have any expirence giving the nano a seperate sump/fuge? im trying to figure out how to get the water from the nano to the sump then back into the nano...i was thinking of puttint some bulk heads on the back but...well anyone have ideas?

8. Click Here!

9. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

hey can i cure the rock in a plastic container instead of a trash bag?

10. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I think you would rather have them in a container than a trash bag...??? :)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2005
  11. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

12. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

also, how much is a skimmer needed? i dont really wanna spring $200 for curing rock :p ugh not im debating whether im gona get it online or buy little bits of different rock...:(