Nano reef tank with one and only?

Discussion in 'DrTim's Aquatics' started by ninjamyst, Jun 29, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ninjamyst

ninjamyst Plankton

I am starting a 12 gallon nano reef tank with artificial Vidarock and Caribsea Arag-Alive sand. I read great reviews for Dr. Tim's One and Only and am ready to make my purchase. A couple of questions:

1. The smallest size available is 2oz for a 30 gallon tank. Should I just pour half the bottle in it?

2. Are there any special considerations for using Dr. Tim's products for nano reefs?

3. What other product do you recommend for a new nano reef tank? Since I am paying $8.00 for shipping, may as well buy a couple more things ;)

2. Click Here!

3. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

I would use a little less than half the bottle and then use a media bag of raw shrimp to keep the bacteria colony alive/growing. Get the ammonia up to a decent level (I left the shrimp in my tank for a day and ammonia was over 8.0ppm). Then test until the ammonia/nitrite/nitrates are all 0. With Dr. Tims this should go fairly quick. Once the cycle completes then add some livestock. Don't run a skimmer while your cycling (doubt you will on a 12 gal. but just saying in case you are). I personally like the natural cycle, but I haven't heard negative things about using these types of products. My cycle was natural with raw shrimp method and took 4 weeks. I waited 5 to be safe and it's an 8 gal. nano. Can't wait to see your tank!

4. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

Guess I have to disagree with tgood. There is no reason to save the One and Only unless you are setting up another tank. SO pour it all in. Also forget the shrimp that's a mess. When you order ask for a bottle of ammonium chloride - if you know the secret pass word ("please" ;) ) we will give you one 2 oz bottle of ammonium chloride when you buy the One and Only.

If you have a skimmer/UV turn it off for 48 hours, remove any filter socks for 48 hours.

Would suggest getting Waste-Away for later use to help fight algae and maybe Eco-Balance which is a probiotic bacteria.

Cheers

DrTim

5. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

Well there you have it! Use his source of ammonia instead of shrimp and dump the whole bottle in...

6. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

7. ninjamyst

ninjamyst Plankton

Thank you Dr. Tim! Didn't expect such a quick response. Impressed already =P.