Nano fish on large Tank?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Reef4life, Aug 24, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

Just keep in mind those little fish can have a big dent in the wallet when your buying lots of them

2. Click Here!

3. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

In my 210 I am doing all small to medium sized fish. I think it makes the tank seem bigger. But sometimes the fish just seem to get lost in the rock work lol...

4. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

Can anyone with experiance maybe provide this man a list of good nano fish species, not just naming off generic names? 125g should be able to house quiet a bit! An army of six-lines would be really fun to watch

5. Reef4life

Reef4life Feather Duster

Thanks the suggestion Ashevillian ;) I am going to sit down probably this weekend with my LFS and try to work out a list...
    And you guys are right this can become expensive pretty quickly I was just thinking a school of neon gobys if I get around 10 it would be $210 and they would def get lost in the tank haha, this is going to take some time and planning.. also I was worried that I would never know when I lost a fish o_O ... its not like when u lose your tang u kinda know hahah

6. Ashevillian

+1 lol ya if you lost one you'd never know unless you did a head count every day - lol - i think if you invested in some blue legged hermits and a several stomatellas and Astrea snails they would take care of any weaklings that die and get stuck behind a rock or crevice

7. Reef4life

Reef4life Feather Duster

So as I was sitting down some research trying to find out someone else that has done this idea I came up with this problem. How can I ensure that all my nano fish are eating, I know I would probably have to kill all my PH while feeding but then again how much to feed and how to tell if everyone is getting fed. The other question would be what to feed PE mysis mostly? this might be too big for some nano fish... any suggestions?

8. Click Here!

9. Ashevillian

Just feed plentiful 3x a week and scoop out the excess. I think its inevitable with any school that the weak will get weeded out (or rolled up and smoked as I like to say). Also I feel that if your tank is running with LR and live sand for multiple months before adding fish, there should be enough algae, pods, ect... for them to graze on. Even the weak can still grave if you do not over stock the tank, which I think most people do.