Nano doing great!

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by apollo'sowner, Aug 19, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. apollo'sowner

apollo'sowner Feather Duster

The 1st pic was taken 08-06-06 and the 2nd tonight. Less than 2 weeks. Awsome rock bought off ebay.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Looks Good. What are the specs of your Tank?

J

4. apollo'sowner

I'm not an expert in reef keeping but by specs I am going to assuME you mean set-up and livestock?
    20 Odyssea cube
    3x36wt 50/50
    2x1200 Maxijet (1 drawing on surface skimmer)
    1x9wt jebo UV feed by maxijet400
    1x50wt stealthvisithem
    Seaclone 150 (removed due to no foam production; phospur pads stripping organics)
    PC fan run 24/7 for high evaporation (top-off buffered RO/DI)
    Additives and chemical:
    Phospur pad in surface skimmer
    Seachem reef buffer added to auto topoff
    Kent Nanoreef added 3/4 dosage-daily
    1/4 dose Purple-up daily Alk/calcium dependant
    PH morning 8.0 evening 8.3
    Alk approx. 7meq
    Nitrate 0
    Phos 0
    Temp 76-78

Tank cycled with DLS approx. 6 weeks
    25# cured Fiji cycled additional 2 weeks

2 astrea.3 turbo (keeping 1 astrea and taking rest to friends 240 this evening)
    1 Bi-color blenny
    1 Cherub angel
    1 Tiger pistol shimp

Various mushrooms, ricordia, pulsing xenia, zoos, macro algea.
    Future:
    1 yellow watchman
    ricordia
    mushrooms
    zoos.
    1x3gl water change since start-up. If allowable planning 1x3gl every 2-3 weeks.

Thanks

5. apollo'sowner

Update

[​IMG]
    Here's a pic taken today. Looks like the coraline is coming in nicely. Thanks for looking.I don't know what type of macro algea this is, but I noticed a prat that grew 3/4 inch over night. I can't believe how fast it grows.

6. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

Gorgeous tank...
    I wish I had taken shots of my tank as I progressed thru the cycle and the first few months...
    How is the cherub angel doing in that size tank? I've got a 20 gallon tank myself and have been scared away from that species because of size requirements...

7. christyf5

christyf5 Astrea Snail

Just a word of caution. I would get that macro algae out of there, it looks nice and all but caulerpa (especially the grape variety which is what I think you have) is incredibly invasive and difficult to remove/control. I would get it out of there now while you still can and perhap introduce something else if you're looking for a macroalgae to introduce :)

Christy :)

BTW the tank looks great, I like the aquascaping :)

8. Click Here!

9. apollo'sowner

Thanks. It is growing pretty fast. I am pulling any from areas where it seems to be popping up. I think I will remove some more and just keep iton the one rock. I had thought of transplanting some to a 3 month old 240gl that has no algea of any kind except a bit of diatom. There are tangs in there. Would they eat this keeping it in check?

10. apollo'sowner

It seems to be doing pretty well and even much better than when I first got it. I do need to be a bit careful on the feeding as I notice it eating bugs and any algea throughout the day besides scarfing the prepared foods I sparingly feed. As far as size goes, it won't get much bigger than this and I have kept cherubs before and they seem to do fine in smaller tanks as long as they are the only angel.
    1 turbo, 1 pistol shrimp, 1 skunk cleaner, 1 bi-color blenny and the angel I know are a bit much for a 20gl, but I have been able to keep the water quality high so far and I won't be adding any more except for a few more shrooms and zoos.
    I would say go for it if you have plenty of loose rockwork for it to cruise around in and feel secure and it eats prepared food OK. I don't recall ever having a cherub that wasn't healthy for the times I had them. I woldn't go any smaller tank size though.

11. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

Good food for thought. I think that my maroon clown and my royal gramma, which each have their own space in the tank, might be too much of a crowd to add a cherub angel to.

12. apollo'sowner

here's the latest. i love it, still no undesirable algae in sight.

[​IMG]