mystery plague is driving me from this hobby

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by bpayh, Oct 9, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. saltyfish922

saltyfish922 Feather Duster

Craig, How long do you leave the shrimp in there for? A pair of pantyhose, correct?

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

{b]Get an old pair of panty hose and cut the foot off, ouch! Then take three or four raw shrimp and put them in the toe and tie a knot in the stocking holding the shrimp in. Place in the tank and keep until the ammonia spikes and starts to come down and then remove the stocking.[/b]

4. hoodoo

hoodoo Fire Shrimp

what do you mean with raw? the shrimp you buy (to eat) are normally cooked I think, aren't they?
    I just filled my tank with water :)
    And I bought about 15 pounds of rock yesterday. It's in an extra tank until the tank water clears. I saw this morning, that there is a live clam in there though. Shall I put that in with the rest? I just don't want it do die.

5. Craig Manoukian

If you can move your clam to the 10 gallon then go for it.

Get raw shrimp/prawns that you would cook. I can get them from the fish market here in Reno.

6. hoodoo

hoodoo Fire Shrimp

well, I guess I should be able to find a market like that here too. there's so much ocean around

7. hoodoo

hoodoo Fire Shrimp

but with the clam I don't know... I hate adding stuff to my tank since it's running so perfect

8. Click Here!

9. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=Craig_Manoukian link=board=ASAP;num=1097344820;start=0#11 date=10/10/04 at 09:30:14]Get an old pair of panty hose and cut the foot off, ouch! [/quote]

Can I use a new pair? Amcarrig has all my old ones :)

John

10. Craig Manoukian

I agree hoodoo! Maybe a few extra shrimp for the barbie, eh?

11. DC5

DC5 Astrea Snail

Hey bpayh, do you have any live rock or live sand? I was just reading over this post and you haven't mention anything about it?

It is possible that your nitrite spike was due to the fish (since you said it is within reasonable limit) The waste from the fish (or simply feeding them) will possibly give you some nitrite reading, your fish might die from nitrite because there might not be enough bacteria in your tank to convert those nitrite into nitrate...yet

In such a small tank may be it's wiser to get them live rock/sand first and then buy your fav. fish when you see an increase on your NITRATE reading.

12. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

Hey bro, its nick.
    TAke all live critters outta the tank....let it sit for a month then add stuff. Had the same havoc (- the many fish) but with inverts in the very begining of my quest for tiny perfections. I know its hard to look at a bowl of saltwater but just start from scratch, and build slowly. Stock heavily with LR and 2-3" of LS and START FRESH.....nothing bigger than a bristle worm for the 1st month if the complications persist this long. I understand ur frustration as weve talked....best course would be to forget it exists for a month, then add fish 1-2 weeks apart , a very very tall order for new salt water aquarists (me included). Looking for the reason your fish die is gonna drive you nuts (or nuttier). I have said it before in person....forget it exists for a month. This is the best possible advise i can give seeing the severity of the situation.