Unresolved Mystery on new Zoas

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by tripnbili, Apr 4, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tripnbili

tripnbili Feather Duster

I recently received some new Zoas from an online source (I won't name it at this time) and dipped everything then glued the rock pieces to my existing structure. Yesterday I noticed something(s) growing out from the middle of the zoa colony. The first two pictures below show it....and it's hard to make out with the camera.

Also, on an existing rock, I just found something growing out of it. It looks almost like some type of feather duster, but I'm a paranoid reefer and would like help identifying it. The 2nd two pics show this thing...you can almost make out a white tube with this thing coming out of it. This pic is also difficult to see, but right in the middle of the pic is the intruder...

help please?

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      399.8 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      400.6 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      398.4 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      397.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Click Here!

3. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

The thing on your rock is a type of hydroid I had them everywhere for a while but the appear to be disappearing. Can't help you with the stuff growing amongst the zoo's.

4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

kinda looks like the bryopsis growing on my zoas, what color is it?

5. tripnbili

tripnbili Feather Duster

It's pretty much a white/clear...

6. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

I see two things amongst the zoas... the little dark hard tubes could be vermetid snails, they're harmless as long as they don't get out of hand. They expel a mucus net to collect food and might irritate neighboring corals.

the white fuzzy looking stuff could be a few things...

hydroids come to mind right away, but they don't quite look like the ones in my tank - too fluffy/branching, but there's thousands of species, so it's hard to say.

It could also be some algae that's dying and turning white...

does it seem to move on it's own with no current over them?

The second set of pics I think you're right on. It's a little feather duster worm. Completely harmless filter feeder. It's a sign of decent water quality, but they can become a nuisance to some people. I like them, wish I had more.

best way to test if it's a feather duster is that it will close if you touch it, usually. Hydroids can't retract like a feather duster, nor as fast.

-Doug

7. tripnbili

tripnbili Feather Duster

Thanks Doug -

They don't appear to be moving on their own...appears like a dead something. And the potential feather duster has receeded after some "intentional stress" ;D