mysis - frozen vs. freeze dried...

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by nanomania, Nov 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

Staying in india, its too difficult for me to import food due to shipping cost and imp. duties... As forzen mysis shipping is expensive, i was planning on buying freeze dried mysis along with selcon... can anyone tell me the differences? iv read many posts and some say that freeze dried is more safe and has much more left in it to feed ur fish.. my plan is to soak frozen in some tank water and selcon and plankton for 24hrs then feed the fishes twice a week.. currently feeding cyclopeeze flakes and formula 2..

2. Click Here!

3. nanomania

4. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

soaking for 24 hours will lead to partial decomposing of the mysis. No need to soak longer then it takes for the dehydrated product to become moist.

5. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

I agree with Gresham regarding the decomposition factor.

Freeze dried krill and/or mysis isn't very good for your fish nutritionally speaking. Yes, they have a certain amount of protein left in them, but they are completely devoid of Vitamin C, and altho I'm not sure about FD mysis, FD krill contains excessive amounts of fluoride in the shell as well as in their flesh.

These foods also contain an attractant that tends to make many fish refuse other foods once they become established on them.

What types of fish are you feeding?

6. nanomania

currently just clown and chromis... im feeding formula 2 in the morning and cyclop flakes in the eve... is that enough? i want my fishes to get variety...

was also planning on GBTA, most of them feed frozen mysis to them, so was wondering...

7. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

I would be interested in hearing a little more about the attractant. Is this something that the company would add to the shrimp or something that occurs during the freeze drying process?

I feed san francisco bay's freeze dried mysis once every three days. Is the attractant something that could harm my fish? I haven't seen any of my fish refuse any of the other foods i feed but don't want to take chances?

The container claims the mysis is high in protein, lipids and fatty acids. If he soaks in selcon, i would think the vitamin c would get added, no? I wouldn't recommend feeding only freeze dried mysis but would think that it could be beneficial as one item on the menu.

8. Click Here!

9. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

make your own fish food! cheaper, healthier and you know exactly what you are giving your fish. freez what you dont use and you have a stock of food for your fish that will last you 2 months easy (i personally make a new batch after one month, by then im left with a couple cubes so not a massive waste)

10. nanomania

i too wud like to know this...