my zoas are meellltttinnggg (wicked witch voice)

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by oldfishkeeper, Jan 27, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

all of my zoas and palys are in bad shape. They're slowly fading away. I tried a peroxide dip this past weekend. I know you're going to ask about my parameters, but I don't have them. what typically causes zoas to slowly waste away?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  4. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

zesty, civiccars2003 and DSC reef like this.
  6. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I've had zoas melt for no reason then come back strong only to melt again right next to another zoa colony that's health as can be. I only buy zoas when there's a sale or special price. I would check for nudibranchs.

zesty and Vinnyboombatz like this.
  7. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

oh no! I have some that are currently melting right now and most that are fine as frog hair. Just like DSC was talking about, doesn't seem to have a rhyme or reason...

Are you running any carbon or anything else?

8. Click Here!

9. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

I used Furan 2. Didnt really work. I took back to LFS to hold in their tank and it slowly got better.

10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

well, in trying to think through what I may have done different recently is I added some phosguard - I had stopped using it for a period of time thinking that the phosguard may have been impacting my leather corals.....does peroxide work on nudis? I don't see any pox that I can discern.....I will get the test kits out tonight.....I don't have a mag though - I'm going to take my water in this weekend to the LFS to get it tested as well (my LFS has VERY limited hours :()....

oops, forgot to answer zesty's question - I do run a bag of carbon and a bag of chemipure (I think it's probably pretty close to depleted) and a bag of phosguard in my sump.

11. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

If you think your chemipure is almost exhausted, you can pull that bag of carbon out also. Just carbon has (I think) a max of a month of being useful before it's done.
    I don't know much to do about phosguard, that's a GFO variant, correct?

12. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Try dipping in coralrx pro. Peroxide doesn't seem right to me. I hope they bounce back for you. Phosgaurd has no ill effects on any of my corals in the tank. GFO did though