My Yellow Tang is letting this Wrasse nip at him...wtf?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Brandon1023, Dec 9, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

So yesterday I bought this Fairy Wrasse

[​IMG]

I forgot what it is called. Does anyone know? I just happened upon this pic when I googled "Fairy Wrasse." The tag under the pic called it a Temmincki but when I googled that it came up with all kinds of stuff that look nothing like this guy.

Anyways the other thing I'm wondering about is his interaction with my Yellow Tang. Like the title said, it's as if the Tang is LETTING him nip at him. I've heard of fish cleaning other fish and stuff like that, so I think that's what's going on here.

The Tang...well...assumes the position ::) He faces down and fans his fins, then the Wrasse comes by and starts nipping at his under belly and sometimes his swimming fins. It doesn't seem like any damage is being done, and I would imagine if this was an attack then the Tang would retaliate instead of just putting up with it. Right?

2. Click Here!

3. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

4. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

If it is then I got jipped!! Mine cost me $60! It is admittedly similar to that one though. Not quite sure.

5. Nemo 22

Nemo 22 Coral Banded Shrimp

i have to agree with guru.

6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I'm guessing Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura, but there are hundreds of different wrasses out there and there appears to be more and more every time I go into my LFS. But It is a Fairly wrasse of some sort

J

7. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Don't know what kind of fairy wrasse --- but very pretty.

Sounds like it may have some "cleaner" instincts which your tang recognizes if it is not going into "fighting mode" when the wrasse approaches it. Especially if there is some nipping going on with no apparent damage or concern by other fish.

Keep an eye on.

:-/