My Yellow Tang Died :(

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by justonwo, Sep 8, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

This is the second fish death in my tank. A chalk bass jumped last month and then I came in this morning to find my yellow tang upside down at the bottom of the tank.

I quickly checked for water toxicity and everything looks fine, and all other fish seem happy. But I'm decidedly not happy. I'm bummed about the fish and kind of curious what happened. I pulled it out and couldn't find any signs of injury.

The only thing that happened this weekend is that I chased my sailfin tang around the tank for an hour trying to capture him. Perhaps that stressed the yellow out? Or maybe it didn't get enough food? I don't know. I'm a fish killer . . . you might call this my first aquarium "low point."

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Sorry Juston, this hobby comes with these unfortunate situations.

Tangs can be very sensitive to handling and stress can put them over the edge.

The low point feels terrible but it passes, and just when you feel like you're in tank happy land it comes back to bite you with a vengeance. I keep coming back for more, 28 years worth of more, in 2017 it will be 30 years.

Are you feeding your tangs Nori or other marine algae?

4. April Hope

April Hope Fire Shrimp

I'm sorry to hear about your yellow Tang! There are definitely highs and lows. :(

5. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

I just started to feed them nori on Sunday, but they won't go anywhere near it. I left a sheet in there for a few hours yesterday but none of the three tangs went near it. Strange.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Take some dental floss use it to secure a small part of a sheet of nori around a piece of rubble. Tangs are grazers, they move over the reef picking at rock all day. Eventually they will get the idea. Feed Rod's foods as well it has tons of veggies. Once they develop a taste for Nori you can just use the clip.

mdbostwick likes this.
  7. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

The way i feed nori to my tangs as a treat is i take a SMALL sheet roughly 4cm x 4cm place my hand in the tank holding it with my fingers. Usually the blue tang comes right up to nibble. When the nori is "soaked" enough i break it by rubbing the fingers iv pinched it with together. This breaks it down to many smaller sheets that are then spread around the tank and picked by the shyer fish

8. Click Here!

9. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

I feed nori daily. I soak a sheet in tank water for a few minutes. Then I place the sheet in a powerhead. Nori gets shreaded and floods the tank with seaweed. My fish go crazy for a few minutes then its all gone.

Swisswiss likes this.
  10. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

Should maybe have mentioned that nori is present in the fish food i make so its fed daily. I use a mixer to shred it and incorperate in my fish goo before i freez it

11. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll give these different suggestions a try and see what works.

12. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

I dont think lack of food has killed your tang. Reading other posts by you, you have made alot of changes and or adjustments recently that I think had a link to its death.

Never forget, when making changes, make them very slowly!

Corailline, Swisswiss and DSC reef like this.