My Xenia finally died and im :(

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by crustytheclown, Aug 9, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crustytheclown

crustytheclown Eyelash Blennie

I really enjoyed my pulsing Xenia, and have heard that when people switch to MH lighting the Xenias shrivel and die. I guess its better than taking the tank over, but i really enjoyed the way they pulsed and moved in the current:-/
    Anyway does anyone know why the Xenia do this? I have had MH over my tanks for almost six months now and the coral just now started to die. It was in great shape two weeks ago and is now almost completely dead.
    Any Thoughts?

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

If it was that long, I doubt it was the MH. I really haven't heard that before too. Was anything bothering it? Any other soft corals near by?

4. crustytheclown

crustytheclown Eyelash Blennie

nope nothing touching it? I did trim a branch off of my Kenya Tree and trimmed a chunk of Xenia off before it started going downhill????

5. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

xenia is one of those corals that thrive in some tanks & randomly dies in others. I have a healthy tank and had a thatch of xenia that began dissolving head by head until it was all gone in about 2 months. However, my pom pom xenia have grown out of control, started as a little 1-inch thatch and here's a pic of the monster colony only about 7 months later. You should try them if you like the "pulsing", mine go absolutely nuts:

Attached Files:

• poms.jpg
      poms.jpg
      File size:
      447.7 KB
      Views:
  6. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

my xenia's just wont grow in my tank

7. Ludwig712

Ludwig712 Plankton

I also had xenia in my tank for about 6 months and they were doing great. started as a little clump about 1 1/2" tall and they started splitting and looking great. All of a sudden they all started dying off. There is only one tiny little piece (one single head) that was left behind and is looking like he might survive the xenia apocalypse. All water perams have stayed the same and so far i could not find anything that went wrong. Nothing else had any problems in the tank... So what i'm saying is i hear ya

8. Click Here!

9. chumslickjon

chumslickjon Purple Spiny Lobster

Did you do anything new? Change carbon or other media?

10. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

they need iodine to survive, protein skimming and carbon will drain the iodine very quickly and the coral may not have time to take in what it needs to strive, i keep mind in a nano with no protein skimmer or carbon and they do find in my 200g they will melt very fast.