My wife went shopping.. GOSHHHH!!!

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Beautemps, Nov 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Beautemps

Beautemps Bristle Worm

Am I in trouble??? My tank is 6 weeks old and the cycling was done after three weeks and I was waiting for the NO3 to reach 0 to start slowly putting some corals. However, when I came back from work two days ago, my wife has been spending all her afternoon visiting local LFS and filled up the tank with corals. About 30 pieces and all kinds, 4 brains, lots of mushroom different kinds, 3 hammers, 3 bubbles, 2 elegances, 2 plates, 3 buttons, 2 zoas and so on… and 5 clams!! :eek:

I removed three right away that didn’t look good and one brain was half burned by another coral last night and I removed it this morning.

All the params seems k and the NO3 still at 20. I have a 120gls tank with 100lbs of LR, with 40gls sump, with DSB, LR, cheato, skimmer good for 220gls. In my DT I have 2 tangs (powder n blue), 5 turbo snails and 5 nassarius snails.

Should I expect my tank to crash???? :angry:

2. Click Here!

3. devlzluv

devlzluv Ritteri Anemone

well she went nuts thats for sure, if it was me I would bring everythign back and wait and then lol add a pair of clowns or something, tank is way to new for corals

4. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

WOW!!!! If you divorce her, Tell Her I will marry her!!!!!;D;D;D

1 person likes this.
  5. Beautemps

Beautemps Bristle Worm

6. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

wow!!!!!!! you better give her some lovin tonight.

1 person likes this.
  7. ReefDaily

ReefDaily Skunk Shrimp

:lol:

Do you know any local reefers? Maybe you can divide the stuff up amongst them for the time being. Or just take em back...

How much did she spend??? lol

8. Click Here!

9. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

The corals won't crash your tank, but will most likely die in your tank.

Nitrates are too high and the tangs aren't helping that. Are you noticing the nitrates receding at all?

10. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Well the good news is that corals really don't add to the bioload. However, it is usually best to start out with easy, hardy corals, mushrooms, zoas, green star polyps etc. Then as the tank matures, add other corals, lps and then eventually sps and clams. I wouldn't worry about the tank crashing, but I would be worried about a lot of the corals not making it, especially the clams. You may be ok, but if they start going down hill, you'll know why. The best thing you can do is to keep a close eye on the water parameters. Keep them as stable as possible.

11. jossmalo

jossmalo Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

20 NO3 isn't that bad. Normally you can bring it down with a water change, but you have a pretty big tank so thats not very realistic. Just wondering, what kind of lights do you have?

I would start brewing some water and start watching your levels. I would imagine your nitrates will going up a little bit and when they do, start doing some water changes. I have herd of chemicals that bring down your NO3 but I have never used them so I can not talk from experiance.

I have read many posts on successes with chemicals that add and stimulate the bacteria your tank needs as it cycles and I would suggest adding some to help balence the load you just added. I have read articles where people suggest to add some corals first as they dont give off mush waste so I think if you watch your levels VERY close, you could pull this off. But I think you might need to use some supplements/chemicals.

And if you find a supplement/chemical you might use, I would suggest researching how it has worked out for other people before you try it. Just because a bottle is labeled "Complete Cycle in one day!" dosnt always mean it's true.

12. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

I would not trust that store that sold her that many corals, without asking any questions.:angry::(

1 person likes this.