My Warner Marine EcoBAK journey.

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Powerman, May 13, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

very nice could I run these in say? a phosban reactor?

I will be watching for your results

2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Yes. I have seen all sorts of media reators used with pellets. Any of them should work. Heck I saw a guy run them in a bucket in his sump with water flowing through.

Jon feels these can be run in a media bag sitting in the sump as well. I want to use my reactor...but if enough people run them in bags with good results, we might not even use reactors.

4. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

So, what kind of pump do you have feeding the reactor? how much flow?

5. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I'm using a Mag5, but that was because the GFO and GAC. I wanted a pump to push through all my media when it begins to clog. Not many run a Mag 5 on dual BRS reactors.... Anyway....

A MJ 1200 should be fine. Taking the sponges out and putting in screens really helps. I have the ball valves about 2/3s open on both reactors.

6. gabbagabbawill

what diameter tubing are you using on all the reactors?

7. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

All the stuff that came with the BRS reactors. They use 1/2 OD poly tubing and quick connect fittings. So with 1/2"... moving reator out of sump... using lots of elbows... media... clogged sponges.... that's why I went with a Mag5.

But you know.... any pump putting out 300 gph like MJ 1200 should be fine. WM thinks you can go as low as 100 gph through 500ml of pellets so we are not talking a huge amount of flow. I just wanted mine up a bit to know I'm not just clogging detritus in there. Not that the pellets need it, but just to keep them clean. That's my thinking at least.

8. Click Here!

9. gabbagabbawill

Good points on the flow...

I would assume the pellets will dissolve as the bacteria eat up the carbon source... when they get smaller, are you concerned about them exiting the reactor through the screen?

I suppose you can change the media before then... I'm just curious if you considered this?

10. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I could see them getting that small, but as long as the flow isn't too high, it should not push them out. They do sink, so right now they just sit there and tumble slightly. Plus it isn't like they are harmfull so if a few "fines" get flushed out I don't see that as a big deal.

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Are you charting your Nitrate and Phosphate levels? It would be interesting to see that chart over time?

12. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

very interesting Powerman
    I will also be interested to see what differences it makes to your predominatly SPS system

I actually came across 2 bags of the B+P bio pellets in a LFS out here
    and was tempted to pick them up and see what it was all about

I doubt Ill be fortunate enough to find the WM eco bak option

Steve