My Virtual 45G Build

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by jscottb, Sep 8, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jscottb

jscottb Astrea Snail

Thought some of you might enjoy this...

So I am getting back into this after a protracted hiatus, and decided that I wanted a 45 gallon cube. I was unhappy with the reviews of the Marineland 45 so I decided I would do a custom unit.

I thought I would do plexiglass, so I designed and got prices on it, including building it myself. I really wasn't happy with the design so I abandoned it. Here are a couple of renderings of what I did:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So I decided that I would do glass instead. I talked to Glass Cages about building it, decided on a 17.5" Ecoxotic Panorama light, and a custom stand. I put it all together and it looks like this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and finally this:
    [​IMG]

What I found out by doing this was I do not like the 45G. I really want a DSB, and it is simply out of proportion with the tank (and yes EVERYTHING in the pics are to scale).

So I saved money by modeling this thing before I went out and plunked down cash, but I cost myself more money, because the Solana 60 XL seems to be what I want now.:)

Stay tuned.