My turn to have bryopsis?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by dixiedog, May 7, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dixiedog

dixiedog Coral Banded Shrimp

Looks like lush green ferns, growing in a crack in the rock ... very pretty, without the flash ... :-/

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Oh cr@p. Get your Mg level up to 1500 or so.

4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

It definitely looks like it. If it is you have a road ahead. It may be some type of calupera (sp?) If it is bryopsis, what I did was get as much out, try to be careful as any loose piece will just spread. After much of it was out, I covered the area with the epoxy used to cement live rock together. I left that on for a few months and then took it off. Hasn't been back since and it's been about 7 months.

Raising Mg will only help for some species, if you have a tough one it won't matter nor will just about anything else that won't also kill everything in your tank.

5. dixiedog

Good idea about the epoxy! Done!

I don't really see any more growing anywhere else in the tank - of that species anyway - so maybe I'll get lucky as far as that goes.

There has always been some other bryopsis LOOKING stuff here and there in the tank, but only very sparsely, and it's always scrawny and emaciated looking so I don't fear it. This new stuff, though, looked REALLY healthy, ready to own the place.

I think I will also get a mg test kit and some Kent TechM, and give it the mg elevation treatment ASAP. ;)

6. kiarah

kiarah Coral Banded Shrimp

Yes looks like what i had & raiseing your mag should help as it did for me. But just so you no i had one lush looking bit like that on just one off my rocks & i also like you didnt think it had spread but on very close inspection (like with a mag glass!) i found it had spread everywhere it was just very small and hard to see with the eye but it soon grew!
    Im sure youll be fine, just think possitive & maybe get tangster to give you a positive id ( hope he dont mind me saying that!)
    Thanks K

7. dixiedog

Kiarah - You had lobophora too, right? How did that work out? I think I may have some of it as well.

In addition to a nagging little patch of cyano I can't quite rid myself of!:angry:

8. Click Here!

9. kiarah

Yes i had all three : VERY BAD cyano , brynosis & lobophora.
    But got rid off all hidden nitrate & phos ( all three used them up to grow giving me the false 0 reading!) Done filter & skimmer clean with tank water , cyphoning out as much cyano as possible then using antired to get rid off the last small patches left which took two doses over three days. Then filter & skimmer clear out again with tank water to clear out the dead cyano.
    Then raised my mag like tangster said to get rid off the brynosis.
    Then added halematilder algea (cant spell it!) to use up any nutrient that do make it back into the water. My nitrate & phos read 0 again but i do have a strong grwoth off the halematilda algea so i geuss thats a false 0 again but it beats the cyno & brynosis!
    The lobophora has slowed right down & isnt really spreading anymore but i dont really mind it as its quite pretty! & its in control.

Here are some before & after pics so you no it dont all end bad!

Thanks K

Attached Files:

10. kiarah

& here are the 3 months later pics!

Attached Files:

11. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

Wow Kiarah - an excellent story of success defeating the bad algae! Tank looks great!