My SWC 150 BMK is tripping my GFI... :(

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by EllisJuan, May 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. EllisJuan

EllisJuan Feather Duster

I woke up this morning to s silent and still tank. :(

All of my equipment is running from this external GFI:

Shop Shock Buster 6' 4-Outlet 12-Gauge Extension Cord with GFCI Circuit at Lowes.com

[​IMG]

I have two power strips running from this. In one power strip I have my return pump, heater, and skimmer. On I have all my lighting equipment running on the other strip/timer.

I contacted the vendor and he was great. He is going to have a new pump on the way to me on Monday.

Has anyone else had this type of failure on their skimmer running the Atman 2500 pump?

2. Click Here!

3. EllisJuan

EllisJuan Feather Duster

Anyone? Or is this just a complete anomaly?

4. libog2fish

libog2fish Fire Shrimp

wow that's wired check the amount of output being drawn from the breaker that's located in your power box where ever that's placed in your home...
    calculate what the amount power that's being used and check to see if the levels are adequate with the breaker...

If it's all ok the next best thing is to see if your sockets were juctioned properly...this could create tripz in the breaker which for example you were juicing about 6 items from that socket that already is not able to comprimise with the load of the breaker...but If it was juctioned then it would be ok and you'll see no tripping..

5. EllisJuan

EllisJuan Feather Duster

It is not tripping the circuit breaker for the house. It is tripping the GFI unit that is built into the power box I purchased and is pictured and linked to above.

6. rlman41299

rlman41299 Skunk Shrimp

you are not alone. i went through the same problem with my swc extreme 160. i keeps on tripping my gfci and then later on the pump started to freeze. and no matter how much i clean it it still freezes while you can still hear a whirring sound. contacted the manufacturer and they sent me a replacement pump. so far everything is working fine. only complain i have is the pump took at least 2 weeks to get to me. glad i had a backup skimmer.

7. libog2fish

libog2fish Fire Shrimp

only problem with those pumps are thier china made cheap....so yes either way mine has seized once due to debris...I say get a diffrent unit for it to plug into...:confused:that's all I can think about...

8. Click Here!

9. EllisJuan

EllisJuan Feather Duster

Wow, that sucks it took so long for them to get you the new pump. Mine failed late Friday and I contacted the vendor I purchased it from (Reeffiltration.com) Saturday. They apologized and had me email them the address I wanted the new pump sent to. They promptly replied telling me it will be sent out Monday and they would send me the tracking info. I should have it Wednesday. Really great customer service.

I hope running without a skimmer for 5 days will be ok... thought?

10. EllisJuan

EllisJuan Feather Duster

I just got an email from my vendor with a tracking number. They are even overnighting it to me at absolutely no charge. Customer service FTW.