my sump design...approval please

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by coupester, Mar 8, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. coupester

coupester Astrea Snail

So I'm going to tackle building a sump for my 46 gallon. Due to space constraints, I'm going with a 10 gallon (okay to do?). I think due to lack of space in a 10 gal, no room for a fuge. So just to house skimmer, heater and such. I plan on getting a Tunze Osmolator for my ATO. I heard these are great but, microbubbles don't play well with the optical sensor. So I created a bubble free zone.

Please take a look before I silicone the baffles down ;D

Any thoughts on which overflow I should go with (CPR or Eshopps)? Can't drill.

Thanks...cheers :)

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

Looks just like mine! I have the first baffle by the skimmer an inch taller though so the water falls down..not sure why..just do.

I have a CPR overflow and have zero complaints. With an aqualifter pump you never have to worry about losing your siphon during power failures.

Ivan

1 person likes this.
  4. coupester

coupester Astrea Snail

Awesome man! So you don't have any microbubbles making it back to your DT yeah?

5. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

There are always a few..but I have found that if I make the baffles in the bubble trap a little farther apart, the velocity of the water flowing through is a lot slower and it gives the bubbles time to actually get trapped. The last sump I made I placed them an inch apart and they just flew right through it.

Edit: Here is a pic of mine.

6. coupester

coupester Astrea Snail

That looks good! Hopefully mine turns out like that lol.
    How is your middle chamber? Is the water calm and no bubbles? Which ATO do you use? the reason I ask is...the tunze osmolator is apparently sensitive to top water movement and microbubbles that get stuck on the optical sensor. If bubbles get on the tip of sensor...it thinks it's dry and begins to top off. Not good lol. Tunze even confirmed it via email.

7. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

This is where I got mine from. My middle chamber has pretty low flow. I have a powerhead in the return chamber though to keep things stirred up. If I point it towards the surface, however, the ripples on the surface make the switch go on and off so I have to keep it pointed down.

8. Click Here!

9. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Looks similar to how I built mine. I used a 10g Aqueon because that is all that will fit in my stand and still be able to use my HOB skimmer. I also use an EShopps 300 that hasn't given me any problems. I did have to DIY a cover to block the light over the Utube to stop algae from growing.

10. coupester

coupester Astrea Snail

awesome...thx! I just wanna keep bubbles getting to the DT. My remora is dumping soooo many bubbles it's annoying!

11. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

Yeah it's frustrating. You could try putting some foam under your return in your DT..either that or below the output of your skimmer. Have the water dump onto the foam. Just a quick fix idea until you get the sump built.

12. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

I used white masking tape for my DIY light stopper for my u-tube.. works good.

8)