my sps is bleaching

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by suckafish, Apr 26, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

so i dont know what is going on with my one of my sps. he seems to be bleaching on one side, i thought that he need more light so i moved him up, it only seems to be getting worse. i moved him down in the tank but still under the MH. my parameters are good, besides my 15ppm NO3. any ideas [never had sps before]. i dont want to lose my brown fuzzy rock that everyone hates but me

2. Click Here!

3. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

It's most likely not bleaching , its dieing.
    A sure sign of die off' is a bone white appearance
    and most sps corals donnot like No3 at all.

4. nemo1991

nemo1991 Millepora

^^ good way to put it, i have been looking into these alot cause i want to get some, but he said it well.

5. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

thats what i was a afreaid of...

1 person likes this.
  6. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

Fish' i would frag as many as you could leaving the dead parts ,
    Maybe if your lucky some will survive and grow

If you desire some hard corals such as that 'i might suggest you try some Montapora plate coral' it's a very nice deep orange /red , it can tolarate No3 more so.
    You might also try purchasing sps that are relitivly small colonys
    ( hence if the colony is small it's most likley been in that grow out tank for a shorter time than a larger colony would have been or its been propigated sevral times by some one and able to withstand some poor water quality).

Like every thing else it's hard to aclimate and have somthing thrive/survive in somthing that has a more poor water quality than the grow out tank it came from.
    If you ever notice some LFS and online sellers that sell SPS ,don't have fish in the grow out tank togehter
    If they do it's like one fish . and no LR ( if any at all )
    And the water that their growing this sps in has like a 1 inch sand bed, and theres absouluty NO phosphates, nitrates,amonia,etc.
    And they keep there alk/PH/salinity, etc. exact, their tanks are sterile as i like to refer to them as.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  7. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Good advice.... Give it a shot....