my solution , my problem hippocampus Erectus

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Mudbeaver, Feb 2, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mudbeaver

Mudbeaver Coral Banded Shrimp

Well i did this getto looking contraption for my seahorses but the problem is that it works too well. I'm not sure what to do exactly about it. The box is closed in , the animal can enter from only one side so the powerhead can be left on and can't blow the mysis away so the horses can feed all day at leasure as they would do in nature. My concern is the amount. Normally i would feed them twice a day and restart the powerhead after 15 min each time. Now they have all day to eat and now i'm up to well 4 cubes a day of mysis. is it too much?? they take about 40 min each to eat i have 2 couples 2 males , 2 females. Actually i should say one couple and the one male and one female not coupled yet; and its shows.....

My second question which is i think the most important, is whats your recommendation for the lights, i have now 55% whites and 65% blues . For optimum growth and i want it to get as much production of algae, and macro production as possible. One for pods because as of now they're eating my Ulva like crazy and second i want my Ulva and other to feed my Tangs and other fish. Thanks for your suggestions guys.

This is an ordinary plastic box from staples , not very flexible, and when i did the opening it didn't go smoothly it cracked. So one concerns is that the korses might get injured on the edge so i'll get another box and use a hot knife to carve the hole.

[​IMG]

The male Hippocampus erectus, The lined seahorses, lives only 3-4 years bummer!

[​IMG]

The female was the quickest to get in

[​IMG]

Don't worri the hammerhead does it job in the morning so i'm getting my $ 80 worth of work out of this magnet per day lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 75 Gallons starfire display refugium is split in 2. On the right side is the seahorses pen , the left side will be the Angler side. Both in a Macroalgae collection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Angler side

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I can not help with the lighting.
    The feeding station is very cool though, nice images of the female going in and out.
    You have sure collected some nice macro algae.

1 person likes this.
  4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Looking good there Beave

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

everything is looking really, really nice Mud. I'm sorry I can't help with either of your questions :(

6. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

I think leaning towards the full spectrum (white) lights would be better for the macro algae, however, you will want some blue lights too for visual appeal. honestly, find the combination that pleases you most. they will get enough light to multiply ;)

on another note, how did you get the rock wall in the back? I really like it!

7. Mudbeaver

The lights are 10 k its full spectrum , the intensity i found out is less important i found out tha nutriment compound was however very important. Iodine and iodide are essential for certain algae tha literaly desolve in front of you if not have in sufficient amount. Dragon's breath just collasped and vanished in 3 days time. It became like saranwrap and disintegrated. Iron and manganese makes most of the algae structure and high levels of calcium and magnesium are also beneficial, they promote growth not only to Halimidia the calcified algaes but retard the formation of nuisance algaes like cyanos and hair algaes , and other micro algaes, more comfortable at lower levels of calciums. Any red algae will need iodine before you get them or they loose color , weekly WC is very good but some needs supplement so dosing is important. Iodine is very tricky. And mostly not recomended for most tanks, but if you are to cultivate a multi species other than cheato macroalgae refugium it will be essential that you learn to dose it and test it with a good test kit. As i have to do it. The tank that i've set up contains a $ 300 worth of these so i'm not interested in loosing them for lack of supplements this is not only for nutrient export its a Display biotope and home to my Seahorses and Angler and now Dwarf Fuzzy Lion fish, here's the list ;

1. Botryocladia
    2. Portieria
    3. Gracilaria
    4. Gracilaria parvispora Ogo
    5. Eucheuma Spinosum
    6. Halimedia
    7. Shaving Brush
    8. Caulerpa Palm Tree CAULERPA PASPALOIDES
    9. Mermaid Fan (Udotea sp.) Saltwater Plant
    10. Fern Codium Macro Algae (Codium tayloriiis)
    11. Rigid Coralline Algae Cluster - Saltwater
    12. Soft Coralline Algae Cluster - Saltwater
    13. Tufted Joint Algae - Small - Saltwater Marco Algae (Cymopolia Barbata)
    14. Tea Cup Macro Algae (ACETABULARIA SP.)
    15. Eucheuma Spinosum
    16. ROSE PETAL PINK DRAGON'S TONGUE..
    17. RADIOXTIVE GREEN DEADMAN'S HAND...
    18. Cheato
    19. Caulerpa Prolifera
    20. Ulva

$307
      ( hardware not included lol).

Dosing;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

from the top

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  8. Click Here!

9. Mudbeaver

The lights are 10 k its full spectrum , the intensity i found out is less important i found out tha nutriment compound was however very important. Iodine and iodide are essential for certain algae tha literaly desolve in front of you if not have in sufficient amount. Dragon's breath just collasped and vanished in 3 days time. It became like saranwrap and disintegrated. Iron and manganese makes most of the algae structure and high levels of calcium and magnesium are also beneficial, they promote growth not only to Halimidia the calcified algaes but retard the formation of nuisance algaes like cyanos and hair algaes , and other micro algaes, more comfortable at lower levels of calciums. Any red algae will need iodine before you get them or they loose color , weekly WC is very good but some needs supplement so dosing is important. Iodine is very tricky. And mostly not recomended for most tanks, but if you are to cultivate a multi species other than cheato macroalgae refugium it will be essential that you learn to dose it and test it with a good test kit. As i have to do it. The tank that i've set up contains a $ 300 worth of these so i'm not interested in loosing them for lack of supplements this is not only for nutrient export its a Display biotope and home to my Seahorses and Angler and now Dwarf Fuzzy Lion fish, here's the list ;

1. Botryocladia
    2. Portieria
    3. Gracilaria
    4. Gracilaria parvispora Ogo
    5. Eucheuma Spinosum
    6. Halimedia
    7. Shaving Brush
    8. Caulerpa Palm Tree CAULERPA PASPALOIDES
    9. Mermaid Fan (Udotea sp.) Saltwater Plant
    10. Fern Codium Macro Algae (Codium tayloriiis)
    11. Rigid Coralline Algae Cluster - Saltwater
    12. Soft Coralline Algae Cluster - Saltwater
    13. Tufted Joint Algae - Small - Saltwater Marco Algae (Cymopolia Barbata)
    14. Tea Cup Macro Algae (ACETABULARIA SP.)
    15. Eucheuma Spinosum
    16. ROSE PETAL PINK DRAGON'S TONGUE..
    17. RADIOXTIVE GREEN DEADMAN'S HAND...
    18. Cheato
    19. Caulerpa Prolifera
    20. Ulva

$307
      ( hardware not included lol).

Dosing;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]