My RSM 250 DIY LED Custom Hood

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by andru1313, Mar 18, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. andru1313

andru1313 Purple Spiny Lobster

So replacing my lights in my RSM 250. I am going to gut the hood and install these LEDs. Thought I would post my build on here. I am very much new to all this

I had LEDs in the hood already but they were not very controllable so was looking to do something with some more control and different color as well. I wanted to keep the hood closed and not run open so this seemed to solve most of my requirements. I was able to re use a few parts like the Heat Sink.

My Build List
    1x coralux 5up ldd driver board
    1x storm x led controller (buddy gave this to me)
    2 x cree lumia 5.2 - 70w full spectrum 5 channel cree led
    3x meanwell ldd-700h led driver
    2x meanwell ldd-1000h led driver
    1x 250w 48v 5.2A DC Power Supply

Benched tested the LEDs and got everything hooked up.
    Everything....
    [​IMG]
    5up board with drivers installed
    [​IMG]
    Controller and 5.2 LED
    [​IMG]
    Power Supply. I need to find a box to put this in. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
    [​IMG]
    LEDs Bench tested and this is at 1% power
    [​IMG]
    The Rats nest of wiring. Here is where I have to figure out how to make this clean. I have tried a few different things.
    [​IMG]
    So after trying a few different wiring methods grabbed an old Honda Wiring Harness. I wired it for the LEDs. so 10 wires 5 positive 5 negative. This way I can just plug and unplug when installing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. andru1313

So Getting a bit more creative now. Grabbed an PC enclosure.. Mounted the Powersupply in there and will mount the 5up as well. I will have the enclosure for the 5 up tomorrow then will mount in the box as well. Will mount the Storm X seperate. Testing the powersupply now making sure I am getting good airflow and no heat issues.... Pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. andru1313

5. andru1313

6. andru1313

Box is mounted in the PC Case. everything is mounted and box is done. Need to figure out where to mount the controller and now comes the task of installing the LEDs in the hood. Worried about this part. I am using my existing heat sink so not sure how much drilling I am going to have to do.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is the back. I don't like the plastic loom but all i had on hand so just used it up.
    [​IMG]
    Pic came out blurry..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. andru1313

Box is mounted in the PC Case. everything is mounted and box is done. Need to figure out where to mount the controller and now comes the task of installing the LEDs in the hood. Worried about this part. I am using my existing heat sink so not sure how much drilling I am going to have to do.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is the back. I don't like the plastic loom but all i had on hand so just used it up.
    [​IMG]
    Pic came out blurry..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. andru1313

Finished everything up. Only thing I am waiting to do is mount the controller Installed the lights in the hood and ITS WORKING!!
    Question.. Here are the final pics and results.. Lights had been off for a day so corals were just starting to open will have to snap some better pics after the lights had been on for a bit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. andru1313

[​IMG]
    Tucked the wires in..
    [​IMG]
    Installed in the hood.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hood on the tank.. Ready to go
    [​IMG]
    It Lights up!!!
    [​IMG]
    Need to do some cable management and mount the controller
    [​IMG]
    Need to get some betting pics of the tank but what its looking like at the moment
    [​IMG]

11. andru1313

[​IMG]
    Tucked the wires in..
    [​IMG]
    Installed in the hood.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hood on the tank.. Ready to go
    [​IMG]
    It Lights up!!!
    [​IMG]
    Need to do some cable management and mount the controller
    [​IMG]
    Need to get some betting pics of the tank but what its looking like at the moment
    [​IMG]

12. Oryo

Oryo Feather Duster

WoW!

All I saw was a million wires with some cool fans (I'm clueless to electronics) but at the end the LED hood came out awesome!

Great job!