My Rock...then and now!

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Birdlady, Dec 17, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That's great BL. :)
    I need to check my mag.
    Coraline in this tank of mine has been slow going.
    Does circulation help? I've concluded my tank doesn't have enough and I am adding a Tunze turbelle today.

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Well, I have crappy circulation so I would have to say, not necessarily. I have LPS that don't need lots of current. Altho, I have 3 PH's and the squid...but they don't move alot of water.

I am hoping for turbelles for christmas...I dropped major hints ;) ;D Also dropped some hints on a nano cube....but I can't have everything....today anyways!

I would love to get the streams but they are just way to overkill for my tank, even dialed down. :p

4. OldandNew

OldandNew Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

BL: The way your MH shines in your tank in that shot has me thinking more and more about throwing one in my lamp. It is 60 inches with 4 65w compacts. It throws good light and my LPSs like it, but I think I might could use just a little more Umph. That 175 kicker of yours looks to be it.

Did you put it in yourself? How much of a heat boost is it? At this time my tank hovers around 72-73, so I have some headroom heatwise.

Cheers,
    Ray

5. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Hi Ray!

No I did not put it in myself, I bought my setup 2nd hand...there is a plexiglass cover enclosing my lamps with fans so there is less of a heat problem. I run an otherwise open top tank and open top sump for cooling as well.

I was still getting a temp increase of about 3 to 4 degrees per day, with the high being 80 to 81 degrees F. To remedy, I adjusted my heater to 80 degrees to eliminate the fluctuation and it seems to work. It has been like that for about 3 months. I get a 1 degree increase while the MH is on.

I don't see the heat as a problem as much as the fluctuation as long as you are below 82 - 83 degrees. That does not leave me much wiggle room in the summer if my AC fails, but I know that so....

::) ;D ;D

I really do love the look of the MH's....

6. OldandNew

OldandNew Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

My "Top Hat" for all intents and purposes is open. It has a perfect place for my lamp housing. The "Top Hat" is about 4 inches high and is quite the crown for the tank. I do have to plumb over it though. Will present pics after I do it.

My current lighting is a 60 inch fixture with 4x65w bulbs in it, 5 moon light diodes, and a fan. It has a bottom cover (lense). The exhaust from the fan at one end of the 60 inch unit is a just bit warm, but not hot. I was thinking of loosing the plastic "lens" (more air), putting a piece of glass at the top of the tank to protect the lights, and adding a MH in the 175 class in the middle of the unit. There is space right in the middle because the 65w bulbs don't meet.

According to my LFS guy (MUCH more than the pimple faced bio geek who couldn't get a job at COMPUSA) and my current assemblage of LPSs, I have enough light. But there may be more that I would like to do, and the boost might just let me.

OH, college guy who has worked multiple years at the LFS, the afore pimple faced comment was NOT ment as a slure toward you. Please, I have Mucho respect for your presence and position here in the forum.

Cheers,
    Ray

7. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Bird lady, your tank and rock look great! I just love that color of purple- don't you? :)