My refugium, I copied Birdlady :)

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Diver_1298, Nov 14, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Here is a picture of my fuge. It has a place on the right for the turbulent water to enter. A center fuge zone. A small area for filtration if desired and then the spot on the left for a submersible pump. It has fine aragonite mixed in with live sand and Caulerpa Racemosa and Prolifera macroalgae. I also put in some Chaetomorpha and a crab that was terrorizing my wife's 10 gal nano tank. BTW I hope I didn't embarrass Birdlady because her fuge looks a lot nicer than mine. :eek:
    One question, how do you keep the incoming pipe in a fixed position, so it doesn't move all over the place?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Hey, I think it looks just fine! Besides, I copied mine from CheckMateKingII's gallery and found out later that is was an ecosystem mud setup :-/ ::) ;D

I have a hang on skimmer and I just have the inlet hose kind of stuck in between things. I also have it pushed under water so I don't have to listen to running water! ;D

4. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

The one I built some time back was similar. I use a short peice of 6 inch diameter pipe, glued on an end piece and glued the end piece to the bottom of the fuge/sump with silicon. It was glued into the corner of the sump in an uprigt position and was just long enough to be just above the water level. The pipe was like a holster and the drain pipe just rested inside.

I also cut a notch in the bigger pipe to make sure that the water could only flow into the sump. It did make a bit of noise and if that would bother you, just make it shorter so the pipe ( when upright ) is shorter than the water level.

John

5. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

JohnO and Birdlady, Thanks for the input! Karma to both of you :)
    I am just happy that I was able to adjust the overflow and the spraybar so the sump does not overflow when the pump is turned off. Or overfill the tank if the overflow quits working.
    Jim
    P.S. Thanks for changing your avatar JohnO ;D

6. FNPinMO

FNPinMO Plankton

I have to thank Birdlady also! I followed your question and answers abou t your experiences building your refugium. Thanks a million for the help and taking the time to include all of the pictures.

7. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Welcome FNPinMO! Karma to you for your avatar!!!!LOL!!!

I LOVE RALPHIE!!! That is sooooo my favorite movie! I was just saying today, now that it is thatnksgiving, we can start watching it!!!!

"Lifebouy, Blech!" :p

Oh, happy to have helped! ;D