My Poor Discus

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by oceansurf, Jul 22, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oceansurf

oceansurf Purple Spiny Lobster

I woke this morning to find one of my discus caught to the intake tube of one of my filters. I was surprised he was still alive, but for how long, I do not know. My local pet store said that only happens to weaker fish anyway.

When I first got him loose, he fell on his side to the bottom. Then, very gradually, he began to ( wobbily ) swim a bit. He even ate a bit of food.Now he is leaning on the glass @ the bottom of the tank.

I have a 30 gallon with the 2 discus & 2 siamese algae eaters.Amazingly, the other ( larger ) discus is leaving him alone.

If he dies ( & I hope he doesn't ) I'll have one discus in my just newly planted tank. I really can't afford another right now. I know they are social fish. How would one do on his own, if that proves necessary ?

2. Click Here!

3. oceansurf

The discus died. Will one discus in a planted show tank be ok ?

4. oceansurf

I take excellent care of my tank. I would rather go with the one discus & now concentrate more on the aquculture. I have quite a few real plants, but I could put in some plastic till the plants get larger. The discus is a beautiful turquoise. I just want to know if he will be ok alone or even with a few "cheaper" tank mates. If you're going to suggest tank mates try to give me ones that will be 99.9% successful. I hate losing fish.

HELP !

5. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

He will be ok for a minute. But you have to put one in there because he will seclude himself and slowly fade away. worse case scenario is that if you wait and put another in later he might become a bully and cause havoc to the new entries. Maybe a small school of cardinal tetras might help out for the moment.

6. oceansurf

Could I put in the cardinal tetras & perhaps a few more friendly tank mates to take the place of the discus ?

7. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

You plan on leaving him in there or getting some more in the future or just taking him out all together. I thing a school of fish will bring him out and hopefully the discus wont be isolated.

8. Click Here!

9. oceansurf

I did get another discus. ( a red with a turquoise on the funs.) He set me back $75. Are discus that expensive in your part of the world ?

I also spent A LONG TIME looking for compatible tank mates.I got 12 neon tetras & 2 spotted gourmais. Immediately, after putting them in the tank, they killed one of the neons. They have showed no interest since & the neons are doing a good job of steering clear. I am hoping it was just a fluke.There's no competition @ all so far between the gourmais & the discus. The gourmais seem to be keeping a low profile so far.

This is the day for me to do a water change & clean my discus tank. I do it twice a week so I'd best get @ it. I am beginning a planted tank, but the plants a quite small as yet. I may add a bit of plastic to provide hiding places & remove them when my plants get larger.

Have a great weekend.

10. oceansurf

Skunk Shrimp

Skin: Mint

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did get another discus. ( a red with a turquoise on the funs.) He set me back $75. Are discus that expensive in your part of the world ?

I also spent A LONG TIME looking for compatible tank mates.I got 12 neon tetras & 2 spotted gourmais. Immediately, after putting them in the tank, they killed one of the neons. They have showed no interest since & the neons are doing a good job of steering clear. I am hoping it was just a fluke.There's no competition @ all so far between the gourmais & the discus. The gourmais seem to be keeping a low profile so far.

This is the day for me to do a water change & clean my discus tank. I do it twice a week so I'd best get @ it. I am beginning a planted tank, but the plants a quite small as yet. I may add a bit of plastic to provide hiding places & remove them when my plants get larger.

Have a great weekend.

11. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

12. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

aww man sorry to hear adount your loss :(